Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
31,848 Posts
It's intentionally designed to run a control circuit to it to electrically short the breaker or fault it.
No, It has an auxiliary coil called a shunt trip (based on what I see) you apply voltage to the coli the coil operates the trip mechanism to open the circuit breakers. Commonly referred to as a shunt trip.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
No, It has an auxiliary coil called a shunt trip (based on what I see) you apply voltage to the coli the coil operates the trip mechanism to open the circuit breakers. Commonly referred to as a shunt trip.
Yeah! The control circuit controls the coil. Hence the control circuit.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As Biran John said

its used to control (trip) the CB from a control system that could be an PLC for example or a remote location.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Chrisibew440 said:
It's intentionally designed to run a control circuit to it to electrically short the breaker or fault it.
Huh?? Electrically short or fault the breaker?

You keep posting the craziest things, what scares me is I think you are serious and not just another troll.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

You keep posting the craziest things, what scares me is I think you are serious and not just another troll.
Think out of the box dude. Your using electricity to " electrically open that breaker"

·
Registered
31,848 Posts

Unfortunately like many in the trade, just misinformed or misstated.

I feel it is very important for electricians (heck any professional) fully understand the topic they are discussing will supplying information While I am no genius I do try like many of the members here to get the correct answers* involving the trade prior to posting. Though we all do make mistakes

*-Political view points excluded.

·
Registered
31,848 Posts
Think out of the box dude. Your using electricity to " electrically open that breaker"
Not only were you wrong you refuse to accept the fact you were wrong.

Here is the difference

A shunt trip draw 1-20 amps
A short could be (assuming a 200 amp CB) 1200-2000 amps
A fault could be over 100,000 amps (depending on the many variables)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Not only were you wrong you refuse to accept the fact you were wrong.

Here is the difference

A shunt trip draw 1-20 amps
A short could be (assuming a 200 amp CB) 1200-2000 amps
A fault could be over 100,000 amps (depending on the many variables)
Thanks for telling me stuff I know bro.

·
Registered
31,848 Posts
I was never wrong I just express it differently. I've always called it an intentional fault. True! It is not a fault but the breaker opens as if it were in a fault condition.
I am not here to argue with you, but YOU WERE NOT JUST WRONG, you were dead wrong, not even in the ball park.

Major difference between what you said and how that circuit breaker works.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts