Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Thumper
714 Posts
I'm assuming from the way you asked that the service cable in the pic is the Pepco side so I would call 202-872-2000 for the corporate office / contractor / city services line. Pepco has their own dedicated commercial / residential service inspectors and will charge $480 to turn the power off at the pole. They will then reconnect after the contractor has supplied a new service cable to the rainhead.

Unfortunately, in DC, the quality of workmanship is the lowest in the nation. I have never seen them fail for wrong connectors or cracked SER/SEU/SE, but I just had to repair one last week that was not only cracked but was hanging directly over a window. Both the county and Pepco passed it (bank paid for heavy up) but it was on an investment property I was going to move tenants into so I fixed it anyway... Pepco has smart meters in now so they don't like contractors pulling the meters anymore, but they don't charge for a service truck to pull a meter. They do want 3 days notice, no charge.

DC proper does have a lot of underground buried services so if the feed is coming from the other side, I would really like to see a picture of the inside to see how the feeders are routed.

Just because the county/city approves it, doesn't mean the Pepco service inspector has too... but they often will skip their own inspection to save manpower. The Pepco service inspector is the one who releases the work order to construction to connect the pole / rainhead / underground feed.

In this area most of the work orders are now filled by subcontractors from South Carolina who drive home on weekends. I have seen them "fix" a connector like the one you posted by cramming it full of duct seal and calling it a day. Are those open knockouts in the top or dirt?

My heart goes out to you for trying to get them to do the right thing, and I very much do hope that you are able to make headway.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
846 Posts
Here's another gem from my album here! APPROVED? Not far from the White House! Anyone know what the local inspection rules are where and by who??

It says Appoved, I see no problem here. :whistling2:

·
Thumper
714 Posts
It says Appoved, I see no problem here. :whistling2:
Yes approved by the city, but will the poco service inspector approve it? Usually this first stamp is the rough, then the poco inspector comes, and finally the city/county inspector comes back for the final, at which time the "approved" stamp would go on the main disconnect, not the meter.

Wonder if on this one if the Pepco service inspector will even inspect it before sending it to construction.

I have seen them get touchy about open knockouts, if that's what I'm seeing up top.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
So originally this thread had some outside lights in the opening post. Now Joe went back and edited it and put a completely different picture in the OP. Consequently, this thread is now a disjoined train wreck. :rolleyes::rolleyes: When is this guy going to get banned???

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
To the OP. Please do not edit or delete opening posts in this way. Ask and it can be removed or closed. Editing/deleting serves no purpose other than to create complete confusion.

Reactions: LARMGUY
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.