Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen one of these threads in a while. Kind of interesting to hear what everyone is working on at the moment.

This week I have a few projects:

• Wire up some new motor starters and controls for conveyor belts at the fish plant (preparing for start of Pacific Whiting season in a couple weeks)
  • Wire up a small wind turbine/inverter setup for a lady
  • Try to get in the new shrimp plant QC girl's pants
  • Install a new ultrasonic flow meter/transmitter setup at a wastewater plant
  • Miscellaneous service calls as filler; have a few Cat 6 lines to run at a car dealership, a camera to wire and install at City Hall, upgrade some lights at a shipping depot
  • Also have a small kitchen remodel I'm doing for a buddy at a local HVAC shop that we work with a lot

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I'm working on a camp for a large oil company. It will house a little under 1500 people who are going to work on the construction of a new plant on an existing, live oil & gas site. Presumably later it will be used for people actually working the plant once it goes live. It's going to have a nice big gym, elaborate dining hall, lounge, library, medical clinic and several rec rooms.

The camp is constructed out of hundreds of factory-built trailers which are trucked in and craned into place on steel pilings. They arrive mostly completed, and most of the branch circuits are already in place. Our work consists of interconnecting the trailers, running feeders to hundreds of subpanels, setting a large number of transformers, heat tracing plumbing lines, completing fire alarm systems, some lighting and some switchgear/distribution panels. There is also all the data stuff, fiber coax and CAT6. The incoming service is going to be 4160v so there will be that work as well.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
We're working on a new shop building at a local college. Right now were out of the walls and pulling wire and piping above the ceilings while they drywall. It's a shop building where they'll teach HVAC, Welding, and automotive tech. I think our contract is close to four million.
I finished a job in December and am working for another foreman just waiting for the next job to start up. The foremen on this job is one of my best friends but we do things a lot different. Rumor around the office is we got a big job right on the ocean. And one in the fricken desert. I wonder which one I'll get.

When's lunch?

·
Registered
712 Posts
started rough-in for children's home, second unit pending.. waiting til next week to install UPS back-up for one county's 911 center.. and then another county's new 911 call center not out of ground yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Finally getting/taking some time off, so the only electrical I plan on doing is making sure the battery bank on my patio boat is fully charged! Good chance I'll be doing a little refrigeration work on the eh hem- "coolers" as well.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
~Learning CT 101 , and dodging the local torch and pitchfork brigades wrath whom think i've some hand it their manipulation

~Trying to get both an architect and his moonbat lighting lady to visit the planet earth

~Wrapping up another slum job full of 3 toed sloths that couldn't get a job as a fence post

~Talking to collection agencies about stim fund abusers local scams

~Rototilling last years beer cans in the garden

~CS~

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Typical oilfield maintenance now...

Trying to figure out why a 4,000 hp compressor has started developing a vibration issue and is tripping...

In August will be replacing a 1960's version of an annunciator panel with a Controllogix PLC and HMI.. Hopin I've done enough research to build a set of drawings to pull this one off...

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,987 Posts
Grease & Wipe for AC units and air handlers.
Those rooftop units are an early morning stop for me every day. Gets to hot in the afternoon.
I have 3 chillers down at 2 of my buildings this week. Seems the boss wasn't in a hurry to have them checked. Going to be hot and humid today and I can hear his phone ringing now.
Can't say I didn't warn him last week.

Only other thing is a VFD install sometime this week or next. Don't know the size of the air handler,, 25-30hp I think.
He only said it was "big". But then big for him is 2hp or greater.

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm working on a camp for a large oil company. It will house a little under 1500 people who are going to work on the construction of a new plant on an existing, live oil & gas site. Presumably later it will be used for people actually working the plant once it goes live. It's going to have a nice big gym, elaborate dining hall, lounge, library, medical clinic and several rec rooms.

The camp is constructed out of hundreds of factory-built trailers which are trucked in and craned into place on steel pilings. They arrive mostly completed, and most of the branch circuits are already in place. Our work consists of interconnecting the trailers, running feeders to hundreds of subpanels, setting a large number of transformers, heat tracing plumbing lines, completing fire alarm systems, some lighting and some switchgear/distribution panels. There is also all the data stuff, fiber coax and CAT6. The incoming service is going to be 4160v so there will be that work as well.
They putting in a titty bar too?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Finishing up a real nice new construction house that is going to have quite a bit of automation, lighting control and media integration.. otherwise gotta do 2 rental suite legalizings this week.. those seem to really be taking off here. Basically just interconnect a smoke/co on all floors near the bedrooms, interconnect to furnace relay and do a general electrical inspection.

Probably be starting a 10,000sqft house in 3 weeks.. just keep filling time with these odd jobs, renos and service til it gets going.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I am currently running rgc for cat 5e in the pit below tire presses. It was 130 degrees f down there today, my JW fell out. This job has at least another month to go.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
No elect, for me either today.
Dug in 700' of 2" underground gas pipe today though.

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

1 - 20 of 116 Posts