Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing a downward trend in Southwire romex lately. Yesterday i cracked opena brand new roll of 14-3 and it wouldnt lay flat, you could see where conductors randomly wrapped around others bubbling through the sheath, and it just wobbled off the coil. The 14-2 was almost as bad. It had a bunch of twists in it right out of the package. I was running it in an unfinished basement and it was a gigantic pain in the balls trying to get the stuff untwisted and not look like hammered dog doodoo. I never used to have this problem and my technique hasnt changed. Anyobe else notice this? It looks downright embarassing. Now, if this was buried behind sheetrock then i wouldnt care as much, but it really looked like hell when i got done. Are other brands better about this?

Its frustrating since the simpull sheath makes the wire pull so dang easy, but man, I cant have my exposed work look like how it turned out after spending 15-20 minutes trying to take twists out of the 14-2 and getting the 14-3 to lay somewhat flat. I ended up using twice as many staples as normal just to get it reasonable. I used to be able to roll the stuff out, pull, and slap a staple every 3-4' without a care in the world. Not anymore. Plus with the conductors randomly wrapping around others in the 14-3 it would snag where i had it feeding behind other cables and whatnot.

I understand some funkiness on a 1000' reel, but on 250' coils? Rediculous.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
The Southwire 3/C is just plain awful. It's been lumpy and distorted from day one. I used some Encore 3/C and it was just as bad. Cerro seems to be able to make perfectly flat 3/C so I don't see why Southwire is unable to do so.

I used some 2/C Cerro that was full of twists so this problem is not unique to Southwire.

As far as overall quality goes, I'd say Encore is the best. It's almost never lumpy and twisted. However, It's the most difficult to strip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going Commando,

Shoot me an email with your contact information. I would like to reach out to you on this issue and resolve it. We at Southwire want to make sure we are providing the best products in the market place. [email protected]

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Going Commando,

Shoot me an email with your contact information. I would like to reach out to you on this issue and resolve it. We at Southwire want to make sure we are providing the best products in the market place. [email protected]

Thanks,
Jeremy
Did you happen to read my posting as well? I'm sure you did. Make sure your superiors at Southwire know how terrible your 3 conductor cable is. :thumbsup:

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
ive noticed that the last 6-8 months, but its been more than one brand and havent been keeping track. i think ill start keeping track

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I ripped out some circa 1990 Ammcoflex from a gut job. I kept all the 100' + runs. I reused some the other day to add a few receptacles and a light. Good stuff, reminds me of the manufacturers of the less popular of yesteryear such as Bristol and Triangle.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I ripped out some circa 1990 Ammcoflex from a gut job. I kept all the 100' + runs. I reused some the other day to add a few receptacles and a light. Good stuff, reminds me of the manufacturers of the less popular of yesteryear such as Bristol and Triangle.
Don't forget Hatfield, AIW, Phelps Dodge, and Narragansett.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
What about your tools and meters can we talk about those to?
I actually like my Southpark pliers. I got them as a promotional at lowes, buy $400 in materials and get a free pair of pliers.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
taken out alot of that stuff, but dont remember if i ever installed it. was it difficult to pull? when new:laughing:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
taken out alot of that stuff, but dont remember if i ever installed it. was it difficult to pull? when new:laughing:
It seems the old colonial flex , ammcoflex and cerro had a slippery shiny coat, easy to pull. The new crap is chalky white, miserable to pull.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Don't forget Hatfield, AIW, Phelps Dodge, and Narragansett.
Never forgotten, each had thier own characteristics . AIW had a black jacket, Phelps Dodge a brown jacket with a brown hot conductor. I just recalled Diamond.

Reactions: MTW

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I just like how things were before the enforcement of the New World Order. ...notice NM never had a date code stamped on it to aid in AFCI enforcement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts