Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have 3 pipes coming into a 12 x 12 box 9 circuits. 1 ground in each pipe. 3 pipes leaving 1 ground in each pipe. If I pass 1 ground through 1 grounding bushing then around the ground bond screw in box then wire nuted to 1 ground leaving , then wire nute 1 incoming ground to 1 out going ground and once again with the last ground. Have I done what I was suppoed to or is it better have put a ground bus or wire them all together

learning to learn

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,439 Posts
What voltage are you dealing with?? You generally do not need grounding bushings unless these are service conductors. Just tie all the grounds together and connect it to the box with a pigtail.

Reactions: Hmacanada

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All 120 v. I didnt see a real reason for the bushing either but I was told to. I personally opted not to tie them all together because I believe its better not to. I have tested a ground that was not spliced by arching the box I connecred it to and it didnt make a sound or leave a mark. I did the same with a ground tied together in j boxes and it took but only a split sec longer to trip and burnt the box. Having said all that ir seemed piontless to cut any ground except the one sized to protect the box. Am I making sense or seeing it wrong.

learning to learn

·
zap
1,351 Posts
zen said:
If I have 3 pipes coming into a 12 x 12 box 9 circuits. 1 ground in each pipe. 3 pipes leaving 1 ground in each pipe. If I pass 1 ground through 1 grounding bushing then around the ground bond screw in box then wire nuted to 1 ground leaving , then wire nute 1 incoming ground to 1 out going ground and once again with the last ground. Have I done what I was suppoed to or is it better have put a ground bus or wire them all together learning to learn
In this situation I bond the box with the largest ground present and pull the rest straight through. Code allows for either way.

·
Registered
Electrician & Electronics Technologist
1,255 Posts
I usually wire them altogether, but I can't think of a reason you can't do it your way, as long as you bond with the largest bond required based on largest current carrying conductor.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
. .
250.148 continuity and attachment of equipment
grounding conductors to boxes. Where circuit conductors
are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment
within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(
s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected
within the box or to the box with devices suitable for
the use in accordance with 250.148(a) through (e).
Exception: The equipment grounding conductor permitted
in 250.146(d) shall not be required to be connected to the
other equipment grounding conductors or to the box.

(a) connections. Connections and splices shall be made
in accordance with 110.14(b) except that insulation shall
not be required.

(b) grounding continuity. The arrangement of grounding
connections shall be such that the disconnection or the
removal of a receptacle, luminaire, or other device fed from
the box does not interfere with or interrupt the grounding.

(c) metal boxes. A connection shall be made between the
one or more equipment grounding conductors and a metal
box by means of a grounding screw that shall be used for
no other purpose, equipment listed for grounding, or a
listed grounding device.

(d) nonmetallic boxes. One or more equipment grounding
conductors brought into a nonmetallic outlet box shall
be arranged such that a connection can be made to any
fitting or device in that box requiring grounding.

(e) solder. Connections depending solely on solder shall
not be used.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
All 120 v. I didnt see a real reason for the bushing either but I was told to. I personally opted not to tie them all together because I believe its better not to. I have tested a ground that was not spliced by arching the box I connecred it to and it didnt make a sound or leave a mark. I did the same with a ground tied together in j boxes and it took but only a split sec longer to trip and burnt the box. Having said all that ir seemed piontless to cut any ground except the one sized to protect the box. Am I making sense or seeing it wrong.

learning to learn
I don't believe I've ever seen that done.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One box had been grounded by grounds that had been spliced in a large j box as well as in the outlet boxes. I touched a hot to that box and it sparked and left a black mark. Then I touched a hot to a box that the ground for it was unspliced. It trip the instant I touched it and left no mark. So I figured why make up so many grounds up in the j boxes. All the j box needs is the correct ground to protect it. This seems to take less time less blue wirenuts that always too many wires in them .I believe it saves time and money and I dont have to deal with being told to put a ground bus in a j box and cutting a ground for thats better off uncut.

learning to learn

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plus as the code above states. If I have to work on that circuit in a j box my ground is isolated to what I m working on. Seems safer. When all the grounds are made up together you would have to kill every circuit just to add a ground or remove one from that blue wirenut with 18 grounds in it

learning to learn

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He was there there was no load on anykubd on the whole service and if that would cause that type if explosion no body anywhere at any time would be able to work on anythinf hot.

learning to learn

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For what its worth I understand what youre are saying . This was a empty lease space under supervision. My point was it seem that the less joints made with grounds in a branch circuit where there are multiple circuts, the better the fault protection is and its safer because you dont need to undo all the grounds just to work on each circuit.

learning to learn

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

learning to learn

The term is ARCING, not ARCHING

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.