Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this varies by AHJ but I was surprised to hear that in my area of IN, unless the meter and panel are essentially back to back, you're required to install a disconnect outside after the meter.

Is this a pretty standard requirement? It seems kind of strict and unnecessary considering some of the stuff they allow here.

I'm still green and pretty inexperienced with services so I'd like to hear what your area requires and why they want to see a disconnect before the panel.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
What is the reasoning?

You can run 30' on the house before the meter but then you have to have a disco right after?

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Not that our rules matter much in the US but we are allowed a maximum of 10' of un-fused conductors inside the building. If its farther than that, we have to have a disconnect means , either a combination base, a disconnect outside, or a disconnect inside.

We can run 100 freakin feet of unfused from the meter base to the panel if its outside the house or encased in the concrete slab in the case of underground.

·
Senile Member
373 Posts
What is the reasoning?

You can run 30' on the house before the meter but then you have to have a disco right after?
I am not a code guru, but when I did residential our inspector said you could wrap 100' feet of cable around the house even after the meter, but once you entered the house it had to be within 5' to 6' feet to the panel if you didn't have an outside disconnect.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I am not a code guru, but when I did residential our inspector said you could wrap 100' feet of cable around the house even after the meter, but once you entered the house it had to be within 5' to 6' feet to the panel if you didn't have an outside disconnect.
I agree, I read the OP wrong.

I thought he was talking about the outside

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the requirement typically applies to how long service wiring runs after it enters the building?

If you run a conduit 10' horizontally out of the meter can to an LB that goes straight into the panel, most jurisdictions would not require disco?

An inspector told my coworker that a disconnect was required if you had to go through "more than one door" from the outside to get to the panel.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
An inspector told my coworker that a disconnect was required if you had to go through "more than one door" from the outside to get to the panel.
Lol, that is a nice one!:laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts