Electrician Talk banner

When pigtails are needed.

1833 Views 29 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  EJPHI
Ok so this may be a dumb question but I'm only 2 months into the trade and I'm having a hard time picturing and understanding the concept and purpose for switch legs and pigtails and when they are needed. I am currently roughing in gang boxes for outlets and lights that are whipped from switches. I am confused on when I need a neutral pigtail and when I need to just join them, wire nut them and tuck them in the box. Also when identifying the switch leg does that also get pigtailed. I'm confused. My coworkers are too busy to ever explain it to me. I hate having to do things that I don't understand. I want to know why I'm doing something and how the process works. I will attach a picture of an example.
Networking cables Electricity Electrical wiring Water Engineering

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electricity Rock-climbing equipment

Rope (rhythmic gymnastics) Gas Electrical supply Rope Electrical wiring
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
16,299 Posts
Since most of us are on 2020 NEC

Section 404.2(C) does not require a grounded circuit conductor in every installation. For example, a grounded conductor is not required at initial installation if a conductor can be readily added in the future, such as in raceway installations or where the construction of the framing cavity in which the switch box is located permits access. The grounded conductor also is not required if the area served is not a bathroom, hallway, stairway, habitable room, or occupiable space.

· Registered
414 Posts
Since most of us are on 2020 NEC

Section 404.2(C) does not require a grounded circuit conductor in every installation. For example, a grounded conductor is not required at initial installation if a conductor can be readily added in the future, such as in raceway installations or where the construction of the framing cavity in which the switch box is located permits access. The grounded conductor also is not required if the area served is not a bathroom, hallway, stairway, habitable room, or occupiable space.
Thank you for the code reference

· Registered
6 Posts
When we use duplex MC connectors with those holes , some inspectors want to see antishorts there as a sign that we used them and the cable is pushed all the way in , the end is not pinched.
Ok View attachment 172371
View attachment 172369
View attachment 172370
Ok so this may be a dumb question but I'm only 2 months into the trade and I'm having a hard time picturing and understanding the concept and purpose for switch legs and pigtails and when they are needed. I am currently roughing in gang boxes for outlets and lights that are whipped from switches. I am confused on when I need a neutral pigtail and when I need to just join them, wire nut them and tuck them in the box. Also when identifying the switch leg does that also get pigtailed. I'm confused. My coworkers are too busy to ever explain it to me. I hate having to do things that I don't understand. I want to know why I'm doing something and how the process works. I will attach a picture of an example. View attachment 172371
View attachment 172369
View attachment 172370

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey Lucas,
Have you enough yet? This is what happens when you ask questions here. All good!!
Yeah information overload! Lol. I got alot out of it so I I appreciate everyone chiming in. I just hate not knowing what im doing when im working. I ask my co-workers questions but it's alot to absorb. I start apprentice school in August so I'm excited about that. I believe they do the Mike Holt courses.

Retired
18,700 Posts
Yeah information overload! Lol. I got alot out of it so I I appreciate everyone chiming in. I just hate not knowing what im doing when im working. I ask my co-workers questions but it's alot to absorb. I start apprentice school in August so I'm excited about that. I believe they do the Mike Holt courses.
Be very careful about what you hear on the job. In many cases its wives tales or something heard and passed on. Its great to listen, buts its better to verify what you have been told. I cannot count all the misconceptions and just plain silly advice I have received over the years. But the good part is I got a lot of great practical and factual information from guys I worked with.
And I/we had no ET to verify with back in those days. This place is a repository of excellent, factual and code compliant information. And some very good "best practice" advice as well.
So ask questions.

· Registered
414 Posts
Keep learning and never give up!!!
One thing I would suggest. From your box picture, I would use a needle nose to crunch that ground wire around the screw before screwing it down. It looks like your ground loop is trying to walk off the screw. On some boxes, like the one you show, the ground point is raised so you can surface mount the box without drilling out a hole for the ground screw. If that is the case, it is even more important to get that ground wire tight with the screw
Gas Rope (rhythmic gymnastics) Rope Electrical supply Wood

21 - 30 of 30 Posts