Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fairly new supply house in our area has been after our business, so I sent them a list of material I need for a job.

Long time supplier 18,500.00, new supplier 16,800.00. 10% savings:thumbsup:

For the time being.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
A fairly new supply house in our area has been after our business, so I sent them a list of material I need for a job.

For the time being.
wow, that savings coupled with the Obama care savings and your off to a great year

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Yet we get pissed when our customers price shop. Show a little loyalty for Christ sake......
I agree, but maybe Brian's customer did some price shopping too.

As for me, I'm pretty loyal to my supply house but they don't always have what I want. For instance, I prefer Pass and Seymour devices and receptacles but I have to go to a different SH for them which isn't always convenient. Sometime I need Square D so different SH there too. I prefer service over price but don't kill me, know what I mean?

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Yet we get pissed when our customers price shop.
Actually, I've never been upset about my customer price shopping. I would often get a job at a higher price because of my relationship with the customer. Don't get me wrong, there are limits, but I would get more than one quote and I would expect my customer to get more than one quote.
Show a little loyalty for Christ sake......
I wonder what the proper premium is expected for loyalty? How much more should Brian pay before it's OK to purchase from a lower priced supplier?

Reactions: BuzzKill

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Yet we get pissed when our customers price shop. Show a little loyalty for Christ sake......
There is a BIG difference between a supply house and a contractor..

A supply house just has to pull the order and they price shop different suppliers same as we do....

Brian can spend a month installing those parts... that 10% savings might come in handy when the job runs into problems....

I seriously doubt that YOU would not take that deal...:no::no:

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I don't really complain about customers price shopping. But for sake of argument, there is a difference.

When a customer price shops a contractor, it takes up a lot of that contractor's time. Even a quick estimate takes at least an hour of my time. A more in depth job at a further location could take up 2+ hours. The customers always like talking to me, even if they end up not giving me the job. A free source of information that makes house calls. :laughing:

Pricing shopping a supply house doesn't waste nearly as much time, usually only a couple of minutes and that person never had to leave their desk or counter.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
I have one long time account... almost (20) years of doling their service work...

Their policy is anything over $1000.00 goes out to bid... lowest bid get the job...

I have lost $20,000 jobs because I was $75.00 higher... really sucks.... but that is the "policy".. forget loyalty...:censored::censored:

·
Premium Member
19,493 Posts

For the time being.
Just bait. but still good for business.
Did they give you better prices on commodity items, gear, fixtures or wire?

What service can they provide after hours or can they put up custom wire pulls for you.
I like to forward the new guys quote to my salesman and just let him know whats going on out there. I dont always need them to match, just work hard for me, so we all can eat.

·
Fluke Skywalker
2,383 Posts
DIYer4Life said:
I don't really complain about customers price shopping. But for sake of argument, there is a difference.

When a customer price shops a contractor, it takes up a lot of that contractor's time. Even a quick estimate takes at least an hour of my time. A more in depth job at a further location could take up 2+ hours. The customers always like talking to me, even if they end up not giving me the job. A free source of information that makes house calls. :laughing:

Pricing shopping a supply house doesn't waste nearly as much time, usually only a couple of minutes and that person never had to leave their desk or counter.
Maybe for a few boxes and some receptacles.

We bought $84k of copper wire yesterday for one job.

If we were 'loyal' to the SH that was high, we would have been out almost $10k.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Price shopping is fine, but it kills me when on a truck stock order the boss man spends an hour getting quotes from 4 different houses to save $200. And then I gotta deal with multiple orders coming in at different times, and getting substituted materials etc.
and then find out he accidently left a few things off.
The alternative is I can send the same email I sent to my boss to our salesman and have it delivered to me at the job the same day.

Rant mode off

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Maybe for a few boxes and some receptacles.

We bought $84k of copper wire yesterday for one job.

If we were 'loyal' to the SH that was high, we would have been out almost $10k.
What's 10k amongst friends though?

:laughing:

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I have one long time account... almost (20) years of doling their service work...

Their policy is anything over $1000.00 goes out to bid... lowest bid get the job...

I have lost $20,000 jobs because I was $75.00 higher... really sucks.... but that is the "policy".. forget loyalty...:censored::censored:
I believe good service trumps loyalty but like anything else you get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts