Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had one service call.

Customer said new hot water tank was not heating water.
I figured easy job, either bad element or breaker. Walked into house, nice couple, friendly dog, went to check panel and saw this,

Pictures are kinda dark, didn't want to use flash alerting customer I was taking pictures. Black mould throughout house up walls, across ceiling. Just nasty.

After a few minutes I was getting stuffed up as was my apprentice. My masks were in my van which was being repaired at body shop. :(

How bad of a place have you been in before you refuse to do the job?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I think I might have walked away from that job (don't know for sure). I guess it really depends on how much I needed the money. I had a marina manager comment (as I was repairing their fuel system piping) that I must need a dollar pretty bad. It was a pretty nasty job, and when I told a friend what he said, he asked if I told him how much of a pretty dollar I got paid for that, :no: :whistling2: . Just goes to show, money talks.

Yesterday I told a friend that the two contracts I signed would be the last ones I'd do for him while he works at the new company he works for. They use a modified AIA subcontractor contract and I'm just not going to sign anymore of those. They are one sided and designed to throw the sub under the bus. I may wind up regretting that decision, but oh well.

·
Premium Member
20,049 Posts
I think I might have walked away from that job (don't know for sure). I guess it really depends on how much I needed the money. I had a marina manager comment (as I was repairing their fuel system piping) that I must need a dollar pretty bad. It was a pretty nasty job, and when I told a friend what he said, he asked if I told him how much of a pretty dollar I got paid for that, :no: :whistling2: . Just goes to show, money talks.

Yesterday I told a friend that the two contracts I signed would be the last ones I'd do for him while he works at the new company he works for. They use a modified AIA subcontractor contract and I'm just not going to sign anymore of those. They are one sided and designed to throw the sub under the bus. I may wind up regretting that decision, but oh well.
i just cross out the items I dont like, initial them and send it back to them. If they dont accept that, too bad...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Got a service call that kitchen lights stopped working. Got to the house and the lady was a hoarder. Floor to ceiling crap everywhere. I told her to call me back when she cleans up in the kitchen. Still waiting on that call.

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
We have one good customer that is pretty nasty. We always wear ShuBee's in any customer's home. At this place we wear them to keep the dog chit off our boots.:eek: This is a surgeon's multi-million dollar home....the have St. Bernards...big 'ol piles. They also have a couple of ducks roaming freely throughout the home. Yes, ducks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My old Boss sent me and another guy out to pick up a pump that needed repaired, we get there it's a sewer pump still installed in the septic tank we were going to have to dig it up to even get to it. I told the customer we needed to get our shovels headed back to the truck, told the kid I was with to get in the truck we were leaving he asked about the pump I told him I'm an electrician not a turd herder and we left. got back to the the shop and told the Boss if he wanted the pump he could go get it!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
My old Boss sent me and another guy out to pick up a pump that needed repaired, we get there it's a sewer pump still installed in the septic tank we were going to have to dig it up to even get to it. I told the customer we needed to get our shovels headed back to the truck, told the kid I was with to get in the truck we were leaving he asked about the pump I told him I'm an electrician not a turd herder and we left. got back to the the shop and told the Boss if he wanted the pump he could go get it!
You wouldn't last long out here with all the dairies and wastewater plants and lift stations....

We brought this same thing up in another thread a while back. If it was a pump for cow crap, I'd bare hand the pump and not think twice about it. People crap, I'd use rubber gloves and a garden hose to rinse it first.

Time to man up!

·
Registered
427 Posts
You wouldn't last long out here with all the dairies and wastewater plants and lift stations....

We brought this same thing up in another thread a while back. If it was a pump for cow crap, I'd bare hand the pump and not think twice about it. People crap, I'd use rubber gloves and a garden hose to rinse it first.

Time to man up!
Id climb around in cow crap all day!( and have) people poop there is no way!

And playing in turds doesn't make you a man!:laughing:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Heavy molded places like that, disposable coveralls and respirator, or I am not working there, that stuff makes you feel like crap and sticks to your clothes.

Cow crap, rubber boot covers, rubber gloves and "backup tools".

People poop, same as Cow crap but with charcoal respirator and disposable coveralls if needed.

Rendering plant, Same as people poop but disposable coveralls required, also cigars as cigarettes carry the air's "aroma" through them.

·
13,020 Posts

Time to man up!
I really like those huge cow sh!t sprinklers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Refused a job a while back... guys lights stopped working..... I found a 12 gauge landed into a 60amp furnace circuit... wire had shorted and burned in two somewhere in the wall... there were several similar circuits, and many dangerous items I found...informed him that his electrical system was a fire hazard and if he wanted me to fix it, he needs a new service and panel. He refused, so I refused to touch anything...

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.