Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
I have my own company doing resi, commercial and maintenance. I’m not opposed to do anything power.7
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m putting an estimate together today for a 3000sq/foot house here in New Brunswick. Being not a huge amount of work and lots of contractors such as myself, I want to be as competitive as possible and try to lock in this builder whereas it would be a game changer for my wet behind the ears small business. I though some of you more experienced than I may have a “go to” most cost effective wholesaler or wherever it may be that you like best. I’d appreciate any advise, TIA!

·
Registered
280 Posts
What part of nb?
We get most of our materials from bird stairs. Not saying they are cheapest or the best supplier.. but thats where the boss was going when I started. I think ultimately it's about how much business you bring a supplier and building a good relationship with the inside sales guy.
Also good luck.. new construction houses are a cut throat business. Margins can be pretty tight.. lots of builders here haven't the slightest clue what they are doing either. Their disorganization will cut into your profits by being called in before they are ready for you and having to make extra trips to finish Framing not done, bad or no plans etc. I've dealt with this too many times now and a few other guys I've talked with are often dealing with the same.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,827 Posts
Hello, I’m putting an estimate together today for a 3000sq/foot house here in New Brunswick. Being not a huge amount of work and lots of contractors such as myself, I want to be as competitive as possible and try to lock in this builder whereas it would be a game changer for my wet behind the ears small business. I though some of you more experienced than I may have a “go to” most cost effective wholesaler or wherever it may be that you like best. I’d appreciate any advise, TIA!
as frank said .... new construction is CUT THROAT
the successful bidder uses cheap labor and may or may not have an actual electrician on site supervising, or he may come by every couple of days for a few mins.
i dont bother with new construction, the few times i tried it my bid was so high that they laughed at me

BTW i am a one man shop. very rural area in north louisiana
i make my living mostly on trouble calls, service upgrades and small additions/remodels ... small jobs in other words
i stay extra busy in summer, spring, and fall, but winter is very slow for me, which is nice, i dont have to work with numb fingers, toes, and nose

the new construction guys wont touch any of that, they prefer the same thing day after day, gauranteed 40+, and 50 weeks a year

·
Estwing magic
27,562 Posts
as frank said .... new construction is CUT THROAT
the successful bidder uses cheap labor and may or may not have an actual electrician on site supervising, or he may come by every couple of days for a few mins.
i dont bother with new construction, the few times i tried it my bid was so high that they laughed at me

BTW i am a one man shop. very rural area in north louisiana
i make my living mostly on trouble calls, service upgrades and small additions/remodels ... small jobs in other words
i stay extra busy in summer, spring, and fall, but winter is very slow for me, which is nice, i dont have to work with numb fingers, toes, and nose

the new construction guys wont touch any of that, they prefer the same thing day after day, gauranteed 40+, and 50 weeks a year
You get -30 in Northern Louisiana?

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,827 Posts
You get -30 in Northern Louisiana?
i use that ac about 5 months out of the year

at my age below 45 is miserable
you forget we have high humidity year round
too close to the coast

this is our normal weather cycle dec to mid jan
these are the daytime highs for 4 or 5 days
warm front from the south, maybe reach low 60s
cold front from the north, maybe reach mid 40s

mid jan to late feb the cycle continues but the temps are 20F lower

we usually get snow on the ground for half a day every year
some years its there for 2 days

i know you are laughing at this,
but i have an uncle in minn, i have a pic of him shoveling snow in a tshirt, the snow is above his head
he couldnt do that here

1 - 7 of 7 Posts