Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find where the largest size of a solid wire that can be fastened under a "wire binding terminal" of a residential wiring device in the code book?

I just had my face in my code book for literally two hours and couldn't find it, and google wasn't much help either.

Can someone help me?

·
Premium Member
20,088 Posts
Where can I find where the largest size of a solid wire that can be fastened under a "wire binding terminal" of a residential wiring device in the code book?

I just had my face in my code book for literally two hours and couldn't find it, and google wasn't much help either.

Can someone help me?
It should be stamped on the device.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the homework question. That's why I asked where I could find it in the code book opposed to what the code number is. I can't be having you guys do everything for me haha:thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the closest I found is this this:

44-216 Conductors
(5) Where a conductor of No. 8 AWG or of a larger size is connected to a terminal,
(a) it shall be soldered into a lug; or
(b) a solderless connector shall be used.

Does this essentially mean that you can only go up to number 10 on a screw?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Not really, 15, 20 and 30 amp devices are listed for 10 AWG, we don't use solid bigger than that on devices.
I'm pretty sure that your generic receptacle is #12 as per manufacturers instructions. I'm not sure if there is a code for this. It's kind of a really vague question. I am assuming they mean 15a receptacle/switch but it could be up for interpretation.

Up here 15a devices are rated for max #12

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
Not really, 15, 20 and 30 amp devices are listed for 10 AWG, we don't use solid bigger than that on devices.
what i meant was, doesnt the device have a stamped max wire size? such as i light fixture with bracket and that 18 or 20 wire thats attached to it? guess i shou;ld pay more attention!

·
507 Posts
jordan_paul said:
Well the closest I found is this this: 44-216 Conductors (5) Where a conductor of No. 8 AWG or of a larger size is connected to a terminal, (a) it shall be soldered into a lug; or (b) a solderless connector shall be used. Does this essentially mean that you can only go up to number 10 on a screw?
Section 44 is for theatres

·
507 Posts
jordan_paul said:
Where can I find where the largest size of a solid wire that can be fastened under a "wire binding terminal" of a residential wiring device in the code book? I just had my face in my code book for literally two hours and couldn't find it, and google wasn't much help either. Can someone help me?
Look in section 12. Took me less than 5 minutes

·
Registered
47 Posts
12-116
(3) Stranded and solid conductors No. 10 AWG and smaller shall be permitted to be connected by means of wire-binding screws, or studs and nuts that have upturned lugs or the equivalent.
(4) Stranded and solid conductors larger than No. 10 AWG shall be terminated in solderless wire connectors or shall be permitted to be soldered into wire connectors suitable for the purpose, except where prohibited by Section 10.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.