Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before, so bare with me, but where do you guys seek your new employees? I just had a lead guy give me notice and will be hard to replace. I've tried Craigslist, don't really get lead guy material there(or apprentice). My supply houses don't want me posting ads( which I see their point), and the paper is not much better than Craigslist. I have a hard time contacting employees of other employers that are good, because i know most of the other contractors. Is there some resource I don't know about that is helpful. I did a search of old posts and didn't see much.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,487 Posts
I've been looking everywhere.....Been getting a few people who look good on paper, but just don't turn out to be so, and a ton of apprentices, which until I can get another Jman or two, I can't use.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
I've been looking everywhere.....Been getting a few people who look good on paper, but just don't turn out to be so, and a ton of apprentices, which until I can get another Jman or two, I can't use.
Same boat here. A drunk monkey can sling rope. I need someone who can TS, design and not waste time figuring out a problem.
Got plenty of drunks and druggies who will swear up and down that they know this chit, but I aint buying.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,487 Posts
I have been using Indeed, Craigslist, local papers, and asking everyone (who tells you no, and then asks if you know anyone). I went to the Union and spoke with them about becoming signatory. We have had many long conversations over the past year, even they are having problems filling requests for work. They also can't seem to find Resi. guys that are properly certified.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
I think one of the problems here is that you are not requred to have a journeyman license. Not apprentice for that matter. All you need is to be working under one who holds a master. Now I have a journeymans license just so I have something so I can take the masters.

So, our pool for employees is someone who states they know how to do it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
ShowmeEric said:
I'm sure this has been discussed before, so bare with me, but where do you guys seek your new employees? I just had a lead guy give me notice and will be hard to replace. I've tried Craigslist, don't really get lead guy material there(or apprentice). My supply houses don't want me posting ads( which I see their point), and the paper is not much better than Craigslist. I have a hard time contacting employees of other employers that are good, because i know most of the other contractors. Is there some resource I don't know about that is helpful. I did a search of old posts and didn't see much.
Did you make a counter offer? It may be $$$ based. If so, you may have to pay more to get and keep good help. My GC buddy pays his laborer 25$ hr. He will do ANYTHING and will not go anyplace soon.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I hired a couple of guys off craigslist back when i was doing new homes. I had no problems finding somebody who could pull wire and do small jobs.

I also found myself a good job on craigslist one time. Good pay & benefits doing controls.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have been using Indeed, Craigslist, local papers, and asking everyone (who tells you no, and then asks if you know anyone). I went to the Union and spoke with them about becoming signatory. We have had many long conversations over the past year, even they are having problems filling requests for work. They also can't seem to find Resi. guys that are properly certified.
The problem with Resi is that it is the hardest type of electrical work to do and the least paying. Why work for a contractor for $25-$30hr. when you can get a C-10 do the same thing and make $75-$125hr and up. It's a no brainer.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
The problem with Resi is that it is the hardest type of electrical work to do and the least paying. Why work for a contractor for $25-$30hr. when you can get a C-10 do the same thing and make $75-$125hr and up. It's a no brainer.
Having done a braod range of electrical work I am not sure I agree with this.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,487 Posts
At $20 to $30 I wouldn't do resi either....but we pay quite nicely above that, still nothing.

Reactions: Chris1971

·
Registered
318 Posts
At $20 to $30 I wouldn't do resi either....but we pay quite nicely above that, still nothing.
Resis may be getting difficult to find period, some contractors that I have run across are training their own, of course that takes time. I am subbing myself out to another EC for a very low price because I have been so slow lately. I did a two hour service call for myself today and made in 2 hours what I get paid in 8 from the sub. I will be gone as soon as I get busy. Maybe you can open up to some subbing/networking.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Switched said:
Wow.. I wish we could pay that around here!!
A "top shelf" lead man around here makes 15-20 per hr. But that's max!!
Have you tried the local vo-tech schools?. My dad used to hire a lot of guys from there, no field experience, but most were trainable.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Wow.. I wish we could pay that around here!!
A "top shelf" lead man around here makes 15-20 per hr. But that's max!!
Have you tried the local vo-tech schools?. My dad used to hire a lot of guys from there, no field experience, but most were trainable.
for a journeyman? I hope that's a joke :eek:

Sent from my SGH-I337M using electriciantalk.com mobile app

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.