Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've decided that I want to become an electrician but I really have no idea where to start. I know some people do trade school before apprenticeship and some don't and I know some states do things differently. I live in Illinois and I believe the local union for where I am in Illinois is local 197 but other than that in pretty clueless. What advice do you guys have or are there any specific threads you think I should check out?

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,614 Posts
Hi I've decided that I want to become an electrician but I really have no idea where to start. I know some people do trade school before apprenticeship and some don't and I know some states do things differently. I live in Illinois and I believe the local union for where I am in Illinois is local 197 but other than that in pretty clueless. What advice do you guys have or are there any specific threads you think I should check out?
In Illinois contact the local union and get in if you can.
Other then that sell yourself to a local shop to get started.
Illinois is a non-license state. Chicago don’t count, they are a thing of their own.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,723 Posts
Go union at your first chance.
Start going door to door of contractors asking if they need ANY help, the key word is any.
Don't be too proud to take anything, someone has to do the low work.
Work hard and learn as much as you can.

My advice is don't waste money on trade school unless they have a number one placement service.

If you go door to door go in work boots ( get them dirty first if you don't have them) and dress in work pants and work shirt.

Good luck and don't give up.
Cowboy

Reactions: MikeFL
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.