Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in september I start my apprenticeship program. I just want to learn as much as I can and be on my own

Soo could anybody tell me their stories on how they learned the trade and where they are now..

Please let me know..

·
DGFVT
2,516 Posts
The first thing required is for you to submit a 200 word essay on why you want to become an Electrician. :jester:
If your motive to become an Electrician is for the money, forget it!
After the approval process then ............................;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first thing required is for you to submit a 200 word essay on why you want to become an Electrician. :jester:
If your motive to become an Electrician is for the money, forget it!
After the approval process then ............................;)
nobody said I had to do a 200 word essay. That isn't that big of a deal.. I could do that.

I have the chance to either go union or nonunion.

·
Registered
190 Posts
after you write your essay put it in a drawer and go back to school. even if you really want to be in the trade the more college you have the better you will do.

·
Registered
190 Posts
but if you want the story here it is.
right after graduating from high school i went to college. my major was robotics and automated systems technology. i completed 120hrs of school 6 semesters later and started looking for work. the job i wanted was a motor control job at the local steel mill. the mill wouldnt interview me unless i was a JW. so i decided to become and electrician so i could get the job i wanted. i did very well as an apprentice due to the extra school i had. 4 years later i took my JW test and passed. the problem now was the steel mill didnt pay as well as i made in construction. shortly after getting my JW i joined the union and worked there for about 4 years. after 4 years with the union i made was asked to be a foreman on a project. 30 days later i got called in the office to talk to the division manager. i left his office with a company vehical and i was now a GF project foreman for the company. 1 year later i made it to superintendent. i am non longer with that company but i am the SR. project manager for the company i work for and being groomed by the general manager to take over the company. i started college 20 years ago, im 38 and will be running the company before i turn 40.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but if you want the story here it is.
right after graduating from high school i went to college. my major was robotics and automated systems technology. i completed 120hrs of school 6 semesters later and started looking for work. the job i wanted was a motor control job at the local steel mill. the mill wouldnt interview me unless i was a JW. so i decided to become and electrician so i could get the job i wanted. i did very well as an apprentice due to the extra school i had. 4 years later i took my JW test and passed. the problem now was the steel mill didnt pay as well as i made in construction. shortly after getting my JW i joined the union and worked there for about 4 years. after 4 years with the union i made was asked to be a foreman on a project. 30 days later i got called in the office to talk to the division manager. i left his office with a company vehical and i was now a GF project foreman for the company. 1 year later i made it to superintendent. i am non longer with that company but i am the SR. project manager for the company i work for and being groomed by the general manager to take over the company. i started college 20 years ago, im 38 and will be running the company before i turn 40.

Wow.. well good news.. I am about 2-3 semesters away from getting my AA in engineering..

I just am afraid of office work to be honest with ya. I don't really wnat to sit on a computer for 8 hours at a time designing stuff..

·
Registered
190 Posts
you would be way ahead of the rest if you finished your schooling. and some days im in the office others im walking projects im managing or doing prebid walks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
if you want to be an EC finish your engineering school then go to work. you will be a greater asset to your training employers above the other non schooled apprentices and have a better knowledge of the industry when you start you own business.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you want to be an EC finish your engineering school then go to work. you will be a greater asset to your training employers above the other non schooled apprentices and have a better knowledge of the industry when you start you own business.
So you are saying finish engineering?

·
Registered
190 Posts
yes, finish your engineering first. manny areas will give you apprenticship school credit for your engineering course. i never had to sit in an apprenticeship class, and recieved a years credit toward my work hours.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, finish your engineering first. manny areas will give you apprenticship school credit for your engineering course. i never had to sit in an apprenticeship class, and recieved a years credit toward my work hours.

really? I jsut get so bored going to college full time..

·
Registered
190 Posts
you need to finish. you will never find someone who wishes the wouldnt have finished college. only those who wish they would have made it to the end.
most people will say they apply just a mere fraction of what they learned in school in their current occupations, but they wouldnt give it up.

·
Registered
31,151 Posts
Plus the older you get the harder it is to find the money, time, energy and a few more excuses I have used but just can't remember now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts