Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are modifying an existing panel and the specs say to use "thermal type vinyl self laminating wire markers." What's label maker would you recommend to do this?

·
Registered
214 Posts
K-sun. It's all we use at our shop. They have portable models, as well as pc connected models that use the same tape cartridges.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a brother p-touch now but I am buying a dymo rhino 5200. It seems to do everything you could possibly need.

·
Always learning
69 Posts
We are modifying an existing panel and the specs say to use "thermal type vinyl self laminating wire markers." What's label maker would you recommend to do this?
used a brady bmp21 on a roller coaster i did all the control wiring on, easily a thousand labels and no worries. it performed great and is still going strong.

good luck:thumbsup:

chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can check out the Rhino Industrial Label Makers. They do offer the possibility to use self laminated tape among other types of industrial tapes. You can always take a look at our webpage to check the available tapes and functionality of the devices.

The Rhino 6000 is PC connectable and offers a width of tapes up to 24 mm.
http://tinyurl.com/onkvkyd

In this link you can also check out the Rhino 5200
http://tinyurl.com/l98prdt

If you have any questions about the devices, don' t hesitate to ask.

^CP

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a 3M PL200....I had a PL300 (Cadillac version) until some ass stole it. They are good labelers. When I bought my PL300, there was a deal with City Electric Supply if you bought so many labels, the labeler was free. That deal wasn't going on when I replaced it, so I just bought the 200. It was $209. The 300 is $409. the 300 can be connected to a computer, and will do self laminating labels. They are heat transfer labelers.

I will be getting another 300 some day, I figured the 200 would be good to have on my job truck for day to day stuff....and then I will put a new 300 in MY service truck sometime.:laughing:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I second the rhino 6000 , with one inch tape u can do panel schedules , patch panels and much more , u just enter how many ports and it will print the labels perfectly spaced

·
Registered
290 Posts
I dont have alot of good things to say about k-sun portables. 4 of 5 are having issues cutting our 203stbw tapes. Sending 3 in for warranty next week.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I dont have alot of good things to say about k-sun portables. 4 of 5 are having issues cutting our 203stbw tapes. Sending 3 in for warranty next week.
Really? The only issue we have had is the lids breaking off. Can't complain too much though, they have always followed through on the lifetime warranty.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,513 Posts
I have a Brady, don't know model. I hate the goofy looking "9" it prints and always use a capital "O" instead of a zero because the zero has a line through it. I do use the slash/zero as a "phase" symbol though!
Just my $.02

Funny that the "9" is goofy yet the "6" is normal!?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can check out the Rhino Industrial Label Makers. They do offer the possibility to use self laminated tape among other types of industrial tapes. You can always take a look at our webpage to check the available tapes and functionality of the devices.

The Rhino 6000 is PC connectable and offers a width of tapes up to 24 mm.
http://tinyurl.com/onkvkyd

In this link you can also check out the Rhino 5200
http://tinyurl.com/l98prdt

If you have any questions about the devices, don' t hesitate to ask.

^CP
So which tape works well for labeling wires in a control cabinet? Then which tape is the largest most durable for panel names etc.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i liked the id expert up until it wasnt strong enough to spit out the label itself. have to kind of help it along. but its easy and you dont have to change it for different types of labels. every different label has a chip whether doing noodles, wrap arounds, or continuous like you were talking about. this labeler was a huge contractors so it had a pile of miles on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rhino Labels

So which tape works well for labeling wires in a control cabinet? Then which tape is the largest most durable for panel names etc.
The Flexible Nylon tape works well for labeling wires, cables and curved surfaces in general. The adhesive resists moisture, extreme temperatures and UV light so labels won't curl or fall off even exposed to such conditions. The self laminating labels offer and extra protection for labeling wires since they are also resistant to oil, solvents, water and abrasion.

About the panel names, the vinyl tape is perfect since it combines a strong adhesive resistant to moisture, extreme temperatures and UV light. They are available in different colors that adhere to OSHA, ANSI and ISO color standards.You can take a look at all the labels in the following link. ^CP

http://tinyurl.com/o9b6xtl

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Apples Pages/ Numbers works well for me, especially for designing and printing panel legends and directions for using their portable generator wiring.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I have the Dymo Rhino 4200 and really like it so far.

As long as Dymo doesn't discontinue the label materials like they did for the write-on version....:mad:

·
Tool Fetish
716 Posts
We have 7 or 8 K-Sun units. :thumbsup: Still have 3 of the big old Brady top of the line (BMXC)?? printers that sit in the office. Once you use the K-Sun heat shrink labels you won't go back to the Brady shrinks; the K-Sun shrink labels shrink in about 1/4 of the time and look 100x better. Nothing beats the Brady for saving and reprinting lists of labels though. If we have thousands of labels for a job, we will print the masters in the office and use the K-Sun to make corrections in the field. Also have a K-Sun printer that runs from a PC but haven't tried it yet;
waiting to run out of the Brady labels since the old BMXC printers are not supported any more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
"pause to cut Btw label" not shutting off

I have a brother p-touch now but I am buying a dymo rhino 5200. It seems to do everything you could possibly need.
Don't buy any dymo, I bought dymo 6000 / pl300 over few years ago and now it is cutting every time I print.

Tried: resetting pulling batteries hitting on/off 15 or 20 per support group default it. then try shutting off "pause to cut Btw label" now i need to send in for repair $120.
I paid over $450 onsite at a job worked fine there and now not working.
i think it is firmware / software is bad. they said they can't send out firmware / software fix to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are sorry for the inconvenience but not every device includes the auto cut function. Label Writer 450 Duo , the Label Manager Wireless PnP and the Label Manager 450 are all devices who include this feature.

On the other hand, Rhino devices do not include the auto cut function so you have to manually cut the tape by pressing the cut key. Please, if you do have any questions on the functionalities of our devices, do not hesitate to contact us.

^CP

1 - 20 of 42 Posts