Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would go with the 5500 only because it has bigger inner pockets. It might not be a necessity now but you never know what you might need to carry.

·
Premium Member
19,494 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
I love guys like you. Why would you ever need a pouch that can hold a pair of channel locks, a level, a tape, a reamer, and an m12 impact driver? Maybe even two pairs of channel locks.

·
Estwing magic
26,321 Posts
The best tool pouch is the one hanging on an apprentice so he can pass me tools as I need them. Apprentice = pack mule.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
If you're doing resi or commercial work I'd go with the 5500. I've got the Klein one that looks somewhat like the 5500 but after getting an Occidental belt and suspenders, and seeing the quality of their stuff, I just might order me a new one even if my old one is in good shape!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I use this rig about 60% of the time:

Though now I have Knipex Linemans, a Lennox 9-1 screwdriver, a Klein beater, and Ideal strippers in the pouch instead of the all Klein stuff in the picture. I also keep a utility knife and a pair of ***** in one of the pouches of the nail apron. Like I said, I wear that about 60% of the time. The rest of the time I shove my tools into my back pockets. I used to do the fully loaded 7 or 9 pocket tool pouch, a Occidental material bag, and hang a drill or impact off my belt, but then I came to my senses. I was having to wear heavy arsed boots to carry all the extra weight so my feet didn't hurt, my lower back would hurt, the pouch would slap against door frames, etc. Now I have finally smartened up, and try to carry as little as possible to get the job done. It's amazing how much work you can get done with a 9-1 screwdriver and a pair of Linemans. The Klein/Carhartt rig weighs about 8-10 lbs fully loaded, and I have used it for residential and commercial. I don't think I have had an industrial service call since I started using the rig, but I usually bring in my Veto for those instances.

The less weight you can carry, the better you will feel at the end of the day, and the better it is for your body. I now wear Danner non-metallic toe hiking boots that weigh about a lb a piece, so compared to what I did even 2 years ago I am wearing about 30-40 lbs less on my body on a daily basis. Also dropped 10 lbs since August. I don't have foot pain at the end of the day, can move faster on jobs, and you would be amazed how efficient you can be with a rig like that. I wired a boiler yesterday, and the only tool I needed from my tool bag that wasn't in that 4 pocket Klein pouch and nail apron was a rotosplit.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
I found the oxy too soft for the 5165 commercial electricians case, I cut the pencil, keel and knife holder and slipped it into a klein pouch which is less flimsy.

Attachments

·
Banned
549 Posts
I use this rig about 60% of the time:

Though now I have Knipex Linemans, a Lennox 9-1 screwdriver, a Klein beater, and Ideal strippers in the pouch instead of the all Klein stuff in the picture. I also keep a utility knife and a pair of ***** in one of the pouches of the nail apron. Like I said, I wear that about 60% of the time. The rest of the time I shove my tools into my back pockets. I used to do the fully loaded 7 or 9 pocket tool pouch, a Occidental material bag, and hang a drill or impact off my belt, but then I came to my senses. I was having to wear heavy arsed boots to carry all the extra weight so my feet didn't hurt, my lower back would hurt, the pouch would slap against door frames, etc. Now I have finally smartened up, and try to carry as little as possible to get the job done. It's amazing how much work you can get done with a 9-1 screwdriver and a pair of Linemans. The Klein/Carhartt rig weighs about 8-10 lbs fully loaded, and I have used it for residential and commercial. I don't think I have had an industrial service call since I started using the rig, but I usually bring in my Veto for those instances.

The less weight you can carry, the better you will feel at the end of the day, and the better it is for your body. I now wear Danner non-metallic toe hiking boots that weigh about a lb a piece, so compared to what I did even 2 years ago I am wearing about 30-40 lbs less on my body on a daily basis. Also dropped 10 lbs since August. I don't have foot pain at the end of the day, can move faster on jobs, and you would be amazed how efficient you can be with a rig like that. I wired a boiler yesterday, and the only tool I needed from my tool bag that wasn't in that 4 pocket Klein pouch and nail apron was a rotosplit.
You gotta break that in! Cut the tag off the apron and get it dirty :laughing: Stretch that leather a little lol.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I just bought this setup today after seeing it posted on here a few times. I've been a pants pockets kind of guy, but I'm getting sick of getting holes in my pockets. We'll see how this works out.
I love it still. Lighter than a regular tool pouch and infinitely more useful. For some stuff I still just pitch my lineman's and screwdriver in my back pocket, but if I need more than 2 hand tools I just rock the rig. I'll snap a pic of my rig later to show it in broken-in form. Nothing says professional like nolox stains. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts