Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you guys.

I spoke with the training coordinator of the MIAMI local (IBEW 349) and he mentioned that this local does very little residential. Who does residential in Miami then ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. Is there any Association / organization doing residential then ?

Does ABC (www.abc.org) do residential for example?

How much do residential electricians make an hour? The gentleman told me residential costs more than commercial, this is why the Union does very little of it.

There must be a lot of $$$ involved, considering the lots of people who live in Miami and all the hotels, restaurants, bars, etc.

I wonder if residential is bigger than commercial (industrial).

·
Registered
44 Posts
The gentleman told me residential costs more than commercial, this is why the Union does very little of it.
This is backwards. Union contractors 99% of the time bid large scale jobs where profit margins are larger to make them more competitive with companies that have a lower wage rate. On a $5k-$10k job paying a first year apprentice $12-$14 an hour plus full health benefits and retirement is not viable because you're bidding against a guy paying $10 an hour plus a 401k for a similar worker. Seems like a small difference, but it's huge.

·
Banned
1,486 Posts

I spoke with the training coordinator of the MIAMI local (IBEW 349) and he mentioned that this local does very little residential. Who does residential in Miami then ?

Snow Birds and 28 kinds of Third World .

Pete

·
8 n Skate
834 Posts
Yes, they call them flatters. We have building called 2 flats and 3 flats in the city. I guess that flat thing stuck. They are piping maniacs. Not uncommon to see a guy throw in and I mean THROW…. IN 1000ft in a 8 hrs day. The union also has a R card division.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Yes, they call the flatters. We have building called 2 flats and 3 flats in the city. I guess that flat thing stuck. They are piping maniacs. Not uncommon to see a guy throw in and I mean THROW…. IN 1000ft in a 8 hrs day. The union also has a R card division.
That sounds like quality work to me. :no:

·
8 n Skate
834 Posts
Thank you guys. Is there any Association / organization doing residential then ?

Does ABC (www.abc.org) do residential for example?

How much do residential electricians make an hour? The gentleman told me residential costs more than commercial, this is why the Union does very little of it.

There must be a lot of $$$ involved, considering the lots of people who live in Miami and all the hotels, restaurants, bars, etc.

I wonder if residential is bigger than commercial (industrial).
The last time I was in Fla. my waiter was an electrician and said he makes more money waiting tables.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is backwards. Union contractors 99% of the time bid large scale jobs where profit margins are larger to make them more competitive with companies that have a lower wage rate. On a $5k-$10k job paying a first year apprentice $12-$14 an hour plus full health benefits and retirement is not viable because you're bidding against a guy paying $10 an hour plus a 401k for a similar worker. Seems like a small difference, but it's huge.
What you say makes sense with what the guy said. Union contractors bid large INDUSTRIAL jobs, because if they bid small residential jobs, they would need to pay their JMs more and profits would be small or they would have a loss.

Does it make sense?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chicago has to be the only city that the words "residential union electrician" are ever used consecutively.
Do you mean that residential union electricians practically do not exist and residential is only done by Non-Union electricians?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The last time I was in Fla. my waiter was an electrician and said he makes more money waiting tables.
That sucks. However, what kind of electrician? Did he have any experience?

A Union JM in South FL gets $27.5 / hour if I remember correctly and an apprentice starts at about $14/hour the first year.

·
8 n Skate
834 Posts
That sucks. However, what kind of electrician? Did he have any experience?

A Union JM in South FL gets $27.5 / hour if I remember correctly and an apprentice starts at about $14/hour the first year.
My bad. When I made that statement I did not realize it was in the union section.

I have no idea was his status or experience was.

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
Do you mean that residential union electricians practically do not exist and residential is only done by Non-Union electricians?
Pretty much. It is tough for residential electricians to make a living, especially with Home Depot telling everyone they can do it themselves ( and puts all the material pricing out there in the open so marking it up is more difficult ) - I wager that really cuts into the profit margin - and union workers make too much to allow for any really profitability in that market.

·
Premium Member
19,488 Posts

You might be interested that electricians don't do not residential units in Miami.
It's more like very entry level piece workers, no licensed person within 100 miles.
High rises were 100% union until the early 80s, them the IEC and the ABC deluded our license laws and then everybody became paid as helpers.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts