Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who does your taxes I'm just a jw not a a contracter so I just have your basic deductions wife two kids ( that I know of :laughing: ) A house and all of your basic things in life. do you pay someone and how much. do you buy a computer program and do that your self, how long does that take and is it complete enough to include our normal deductions of tools, clothing ,boots, classes and that sort of thing, Or do you do the old fashion way of paper and pen with a calculater.

·
Semi-Retired
1,289 Posts
Just wondering who does your taxes I'm just a jw not a a contracter so I just have your basic deductions wife two kids ( that I know of :laughing: ) A house and all of your basic things in life. do you pay someone and how much. do you buy a computer program and do that your self, how long does that take and is it complete enough to include our normal deductions of tools, clothing ,boots, classes and that sort of thing, Or do you do the old fashion way of paper and pen with a calculater.
Pencil and paper.

The hard part about doing taxes is keeping track of the numbers that go on the forms... the forms themselves are the easy part. And anyone who can deal with navigating the NEC should be able to navigate the forms and their instructions.

Take a good look at your tax returns for the last few years (you *do* keep them, right?) to see what forms & schedules you have used in the past.

Unless there is something significantly different in your lives this year (buy/sell house, major medical expenses, etc) you will probably be using the same forms as last year.

Look to see what receipts and such that you have needed before to get the numbers needed last year and start collecting them then get copies of the forms.

You'll have to do this process regardless of method (H&R block/ Turbotax/ or manually) that you use to actually fill out the forms.

While you're at it... set up a way to keep these invoices and such in one place for next years taxes (copy the property tax bill etc).

Also (for most working people), the standard deductions are high enough that most won't have enough to itemize deductions anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am a part of an LLC so we(the LLC) have a CPA do our taxes when I get my K-1 from the accountant i use Turbo Tax to do my personal taxes.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
I am a DBA. Annual income tax is done my my accountant. About $300.

I do ALL my own stuff other wise. Quarterly withholding; sales tax; disability; etc.
I use Quickbooks Pro, with employee manager ($300/yr) to do the paycheck math and quarterly stuff.
QB is great because it prints out ALL the paperwork for everything. Anything I get from the govt I toss in the shredder.
I run the forms, check for errors, print, fold, insert check, mail.

Someday I'll get me one of them sec'taries.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
I have a good jewish accountant do mine, we have an understanding, if I am going to jail, he dies first.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
I have a good jewish accountant do mine, we have an understanding, if I am going to jail, he dies first.
Why? Let him go to jail with you.... :whistling2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts