Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the road, trying different jobs! Been doing maintenance and industrial. Missing commercial a bit. Curious what ya all like to do. Thinking about settling down with the commercial lady.

·
Premium Member
19,540 Posts
I'm on the road, trying different jobs! Been doing maintenance and industrial. Missing commercial a bit. Curious what ya all like to do. Thinking about settling down with the commercial lady.
To me, usually industrial work is very spread out so, if you are set up nice, it's not a bad gig if, you are not out in bad weather or having man handle heavy crap all day long.
Commercial is usually inside and may not pay as much but you can usually make your own conditions.
Residential is clean work but, every single square inch of a house is potentially a problem. Not only due to the poor installation we see from entry level folks but the tight spaces and the finished surfaces.
I know you didn't ask about resi but, you got it anyway.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I would say new residential followed by new commercial. Both very easy. Industrial requires specialized skills, and residential service is the worst since your trying to fix major screw ups on century old homes while trying not to damage anything. Hot attics and wet crawl spaces are a major turn away. Same with going to change a kitchen light and you find the whole circuit needs to be re done.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
If I had to chose I'd definitely go with the commercial. A lot less stress than trying to please a HO's wife!:thumbsup: New residential isn't bad if they have a plan but remodel stinks.

·
Estwing magic
26,355 Posts
I have done a lot of things in this trade, all kinds of construction, remote camp work and some industrial maintenance, but, personally, I could easily settle into mid to high end residential renovations. I'm not interested in low end, splash and dash jobs. The ideal client has money to spend and likes quality and convenience. I am half electrician and half salesman and higher end renovations allow me to do my selling.

I'm not the only guy in this company, though, so we are working at multi-family and tenant improvements as well. Some guys don't do well with the client contact and intricacies of renovation work. They like straight ahead construction and it does help pay the bills. A construction gig that lasts even a few months can be more dependable income than trying to string together a series of good renovation jobs.

We have some contacts in the oil industry and I would like to develop that part of the business further. I like to get out of town on camp jobs every once in awhile; I just couldn't do it all the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking about trying the renovation/ on call gig as well. I'm a friendly guy and I get along well with dealing with people. I guess I am also looking for something consistent. While commercial is the easiest, it is sometimes stressful not knowing if there are enough jobs lined up! I have somewhat enjoyed learning maintenance at a factory, but it was a temp job. Its hard to switch over into another "field" with out more experience.
Thanks for the reply! You guys are awesome on this site!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Commercial for me. I'm doing a residential remodel right now that still has the gas piping in for the old gas lamps. I don't care for crappy attics and crawl spaces, but work is work, and it all pays the same.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The guys who commission all the cool equipment on industrial sites once it's all installed and wired. High stress, but high reward.

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,341 Posts
I started in new residential - was bored out of my mind - Did it for 1 year

Did 2 years of residential service - Was ok , enjoyed the different challenges.

Spent the next 23 years doing commercial. Loved it !

Now I'm enjoying being on " The Dark Side" and inspecting

·
Banned
101 Posts
Or the lesbian TV reporter Tracy Grimshaw who made my life hell after a guy on a building site got smoked by HIS OWN faulty extension cord,open ground drill had a short to the frame,i was the chief sparky,she was was looking very smug until I saw her arrive at a party with a well known singer also a ****,Delta Goodrem,house was owned by two old Mother Superiors and their witch of a mother out came the camera she shut her mouth then.Check out Delta on Youtube just google it.Nothing against gheys just witch hunts.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I just like variety...too much of one thing gets boring for me. I've worked in residential, commercial and industrial all are fun in moderation. Residential I could take or leave though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really enjoy residential service work. There is something to be said about the "feel good" feeling you get from saving the day. I have done Industrial work-boring and too slow paced with ridiculous hours. Commercial work-very easy, clean, a lot of politics when dealing with larger companies. I started in residential and returned because I loved it the most.

·
Registered
31,871 Posts
I just like variety...too much of one thing gets boring for me. I've worked in residential, commercial and industrial all are fun in moderation. Residential I could take or leave though.
That is what drove me into what I do boredom and a divorce.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Ummm...that was weird. Hope you get it figured out? I don't believe in witch hunts.
The carpenter was lazy adequate 3 phase and single phase outlets were provided he just ran his lead over the fence to an outlet for a swimming pool pump which was not GFCI protected if he'd walked 30 ft he would still be alive.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I'm not a real big fan of residential.....commercial pays the bills and pays them well but my heart is in the industrial side of things. I especially love doing the PLC , controls and automation aspect of industrial work.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts