Electrician Talk banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
350 Posts
This View attachment 160032 View attachment 160031
Is what homeowner wiring with 12ga gets you. Wires cut so short they cant be landed on devices, or even pulled out of the wall enough to work on. Had to swap this gfi out for a 2 gang to fish in a switch leg. Took half my day between weaseling it out of the wall, fishing the new wire and working a new box back in the wall. :(
Oh I hate short wires! I always wonder how they got the device on, when I can't even pull it out far enough to get a screwdriver on the terminals!

·
Estwing magic
26,534 Posts
This View attachment 160032
View attachment 160031
Is what homeowner wiring with 12ga gets you. Wires cut so short they cant be landed on devices, or even pulled out of the wall enough to work on. Had to swap this gfi out for a 2 gang to fish in a switch leg. Took half my day between weaseling it out of the wall, fishing the new wire and working a new box back in the wall. :(
Sometimes you can pigtail those short wires with a push-in Wago.

·
Hackenschmidt
12,212 Posts
Sometimes you can pigtail those short wires with a push-in Wago.
Or even better, a lever nut. I would prefer the lever nut because it's easy just as easy to get on the short wire, much easier to get off, and roughs up the wire as little as possible in the process. The last thing you want is to lose a little bit of what little you have to work with.

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I am fine with him using 12/2WG Romex throughout the entire house (Except of course for the stove, dryer, HVAC etc.), but it sure is overkill for any LED lighting that might be installed.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts