Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Or installing whole home surge protection:blink:
Of course I have been living in this place for a few years now and still haven't found the fifteen minutes to put it in here.

Have you had good luck with panel surge protectors?

I have read a fair amount about this over the years, I've tried some cheap ones and some expensive ones. I seem to be getting good results but it's very hard to know with surge protection if you're just getting lucky.

Somehow I missed these until the other day, maybe 5 minutes instead of 15 will motivate me. Anyone tried this type?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...Takes-2-Load-Center-Spaces-QO2175SB/100202111

Reactions: Jhellwig

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts

Attachments

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,286 Posts
I have seen them installed and installed a couple but never went back and checked on their operation afterwards.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,780 Posts

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,992 Posts
Of course I have been living in this place for a few years now and still haven't found the fifteen minutes to put it in here.

Have you had good luck with panel surge protectors?

I have read a fair amount about this over the years, I've tried some cheap ones and some expensive ones. I seem to be getting good results but it's very hard to know with surge protection if you're just getting lucky.

Somehow I missed these until the other day, maybe 5 minutes instead of 15 will motivate me. Anyone tried this type?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...Takes-2-Load-Center-Spaces-QO2175SB/100202111
Yep ... You install it, and if there is no surge in 3 years (even with storms in the area) , how do you know it works :blink:

I've used these for some Industrial applications, where every storm the communication lines were frying. Seems to be a huge improvement, but I also hear that these only last so long, then they stop protecting.
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=42120-1&section=39955

They're not exactly cheap either :eek:

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
I forget the exact model number, but I have installed a lot of the Cutler Hammer Ultra surge protectors. They are about $125 and I sell them installed for $250.

A Little Short, what you said is very good advice. But are the receptacle surge protectors good? I always thought the larger sized ones were better. I figured surge protector receptacles were no better then power strips.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told by experts that a whole house protector was good but if there are sensitive electronics (TV, computer, etc.) you should also use point of use surge receptacles. Not a cheap surge strip, but a receptacle.
The SPDs that install at the panel, at least the ones I have found, don't have the the real low clamping voltages that you want for delicate stuff like electronics.

People say that the point of use protector only handles what gets past the panel, but that's not really how it works with the shunt type MOV SPDs. The one with the lower clamping voltage starts to clamp before the voltage rises to where the panel unit kicks in.

If you think about it, if you put one of these

on a receptacle on a box on a nipple at the panel, it's really whole house protection....

·
Hackenschmidt
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: Jhellwig

·
Retired Account
39,722 Posts
I was told by experts that a whole house protector was good but if there are sensitive electronics (TV, computer, etc.) you should also use point of use surge receptacles. Not a cheap surge strip, but a receptacle.
I'm under that impression as well, having installed the model ENut posted :thumbsup:eek:n the mains, then a surge recept, then a surge strip in descending joule order

~CS~

·
Hackenschmidt
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The best surge receptacles I have seen are the Levitons with I think a 400v clamping voltage, I try to use 330V for electronics. The UL only rates down to 330V, some claim to clamp lower, but if they have UL 1449 clamping voltage 330v, it's been tested.

One of the Leviton surge receptacles gives you a light and a beep when the thing's shot, that could be a real nuisance but it may be the only way you'd know if it sits behind a TV.

And again, if those MOVs can cook like that, maybe inside the wall isn't the best place for them?

·
Hackenschmidt
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it all begs the Q, what are the surge cause & effects Splatz..?
Whenever I try to research this, it leads to a string of explanations something like this:

I read Explanation 1 and it almost makes sense to me.

I google for clarification, find Explanation 2, which explains how dumb Explanation 1 was. I read Explanation 2 and it almost makes sense to me.

Lather, Repeat. I have never gotten to the center of this tootsie roll pop.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,340 Posts
A Little Short, what you said is very good advice. But are the receptacle surge protectors good? I always thought the larger sized ones were better. I figured surge protector receptacles were no better then power strips.
No, the receptacles are not like the cheezy power/surge strips. I don't know about Leviton but the P&S has a good clamping voltage.

Edit: They also have the audible alarm indicating MOV damage.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Funny this comes up. We had a wind storm that took out a tree which fell on 69kV lines which are above the 7.2kV lines we peasants use. Well ya know what happened next, man-mad lightning before a bunch of fuses blew on the lines and a substation blew. I was in my boiler room where the panel is with that Mike Holms endorsed Eaton Ultra whole house wired into a 50A...... Well my injection controller for radiant heat is 3' from that panel and was purring away running an injection circulator. BAM that blows up with M80 noise and the lights go out at 9:30pm.
Nothing else in the house cooked including the 52" plasma.

Lots of service calls the next day to houses and business within 5 miles of our distribution for blown up power strips and mini-splits. Several people said they were watching TV when it happened and nothing bad happened other than frying the cheapo power strips the TV or computer was plugged into.

I'm out a $700+ control with Mike Holms watching over me while everyone else gets but with a $15 WallyWorld power strip? POCO ended up coving all damages for any related failed equipment, so not bad.... I was going to go after Eaton for the $700 if not.

TWN

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Funny this comes up. We had a wind storm that took out a tree which fell on 69kV lines which are above the 7.2kV lines we peasants use. Well ya know what happened next, man-mad lightning before a bunch of fuses blew on the lines and a substation blew. I was in my boiler room where the panel is with that Mike Holms endorsed Eaton Ultra whole house wired into a 50A...... Well my injection controller for radiant heat is 3' from that panel and was purring away running an injection circulator. BAM that blows up with M80 noise and the lights go out at 9:30pm.
Nothing else in the house cooked including the 52" plasma.

Lots of service calls the next day to houses and business within 5 miles of our distribution for blown up power strips and mini-splits. Several people said they were watching TV when it happened and nothing bad happened other than frying the cheapo power strips the TV or computer was plugged into.

I'm out a $700+ control with Mike Holms watching over me while everyone else gets but with a $15 WallyWorld power strip? POCO ended up coving all damages for any related failed equipment, so not bad.... I was going to go after Eaton for the $700 if not.

TWN
Could it have been proximity? Meaning, if you had a power strip and TV plugged into an outlet that was as close to the panel as the injector, would it have blown then?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts