Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just some guy...
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, yo, hey! Hope everyone is well. I live in salem nj and I just started to take my electrical career legit. I'm a maintenance man with a local housing authority for 8 years. I do alot of everything as is the nature of the job but now I've decided to focus wholely on the electrical part. I don't alot of wire pullin or fishing tape, mostly outlets ,switches, ballist, lighting fixtures, circut breakers. I'm 38 and its time for a change. I've asked my director several times about training and it falls on death ears, so I've decided to go to a tech class. Its 15 months at 3 nights a week, 4 hours. I've taken a electrical course in the past year, a 16 hour hands on but its not enough. I'm not in union but when i worked a the local nuke plant I was a member of IBEW 94. So thanks for the site, I've learned alot just navigating around it and hope to gain alot more from all the vets from different parts of the country. BTW whats a ground wire? and does it actually go in the ground?:laughing: LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Training

I understand trying to get training and falling on Dead Ears or Deaf Ears. Did you look at the IBEW.org website and go under about us and then to US inside this will take you to a map and you can keep clicking on it and get to the area you are in and get contact information. Training is free all but the price of the books. The best training in the world.

DW

·
Just some guy...
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought about it, LU in Vineland NJ about 40 mins away from me, but the way things are with alot of journeymen and apprentices on the side lines I would be dead last to get work. So I think I'll just hump it out where I'm at for now. But what I like to do is on weekends work for a EC to get some hours. But where I'm at now free dental, health, life insurance, 13 paid holidays a year, pension ect..ect.. The problem is there is no room for growth, I appreciate my job truely but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels not to mention the problems of working in public housing (PLEASE DON"T ASK!)

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have done many jobs in public housing and know most of the problems associated there with.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome! :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts