Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
9,488 Posts
looks to me like either an engineer or an inspector was a bit out of control..........

They could be disconnects for exterior lighting and /or parking lot lighting.

They are mounted up high to keep people from maliciously turning them off.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,101 Posts
I did a job long ago with bus duct and the disconnects were 10-12 feet in the air. There were poles near and when a problem arose the employees had been taught to shut down the machine and call for help. I always though it was a good plan at the time.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Temperature Office supplies Font Chemical compound Writing implement

·
Registered
870 Posts
I though I would give an example of when I used mounting equipment high on the wall, quite a few years ago and why.

We were putting together a new large automotive collision center. There was going to be 3 enclosed spray/ baking booths, a paint mixing/ storage room, and 6 prep stations, which was a new concept at that time. Here is a example representation of what the prep stations were like at the time.

Building Fixture Floor Flooring Composite material

Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Building

Six of these were lined up against a wall in a large shop area. They are intended for applying body filler, sanding and priming cars in preparation for a trip to one of the paint booths.

I needed to provide a disconnect and starter for each of the plenum box exhaust fans, but anything mounted at floor level would require explosion proof equipment, greatly increase the cost, and be susceptible to paint buildup on the electrical gear.

It was decided with the mecanical contractor and shop management to mount the equipment up high above the curtin, to keep it out of the hazardous area and use NEMA 1 gear.

I ran a hazardous rated conduit down to the fan motor, and provided an explosion proof start/stop station nearby for the operator.

The plan was to provide them a collapsible hook stick to operate the disconnects when required. When the female inspector showed up, the whole idea was completely foreign to her. After a bit of explination and the reasons why along with the code references given above, she was OK with it, but wanted a hookstick at every prep station, and wanted it clipped to the wall directly below the disconnect.

I ordered more hook sticks, and obtained some broom hanging spring clips to mount them with, and everyone was satisfied.

It was an odd situation, a bit of thinking outside of the box, looking up the applicable NEC references and preparing to defend your reasoning. First and last time of having a woman inspector as well. It all worked out well in the end, with the additional cost of 5 more hook sticks.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Disconnects for solar panels on the roof? Some Fire Marshals insist on them so that when firefighters arrive on site they can kill the solar panel output.
Do they actually send a fire Marshall’s to inspect new work? Here, they are only used in specific cases that the general public has access to, never a private property unless it’s a commercial establishment open to the public or has enough occupancy like a private golf club.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,804 Posts
Do they actually send a fire Marshall’s to inspect new work? Here, they are only used in specific cases that the general public has access to, never a private property unless it’s a commercial establishment open to the public or has enough occupancy like a private golf club.
are you implying that you have never seen solar on a commercial roof?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts