Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a CE class in Alabama where the conversation turned to "Stab in the Back" switches and receptacles. The consensus was that they have a high failure rate and electricians never use them. Is this a DIY feature? Does anybody know why they are still making them?

·
Banned
4,505 Posts
BSK3720 said:
I was in a CE class in Alabama where the conversation turned to "Stab in the Back" switches and receptacles. The consensus was that they have a high failure rate and electricians never use them. Is this a DIY feature? Does anybody know why they are still making them?
Money.

They are referred to as " profit holes"

·
Banned
37 Posts
The consensus in your Alabama class was completely wrong, electrician use the back stabs all the time.

They still make them because the customers (electrician) still want them.

There is nothing wrong with backstabbing, it's just internet rumors. The houses I work in are very often all backstabbed, yet I have more service calls for malfunctioning breakers than loose backstabs. Should they stop selling breakers?? :laughing:

It's just like the SquareD QO gossip, the internet will tell you how they are the best breakers, but I have had more calls for malfunctioning QO's than any other breaker.

·
Banned
4,505 Posts
NotApprvd4Electric said:
The consensus in your Alabama class was completely wrong, electrician use the back stabs all the time. They still make them because the customers (electrician) still want them. There is nothing wrong with backstabbing, it's just internet rumors. The houses I work in are very often all backstabbed, yet I have more service calls for malfunctioning breakers than loose backstabs. Should they stop selling breakers?? :laughing: It's just like the SquareD QO gossip, the internet will tell you how they are the best breakers, but I have had more calls for malfunctioning QO's than any other breaker.
I would have to say about 70 percent of our service calls wind up being back stabbed devices.

Primarily the only ones still backstabbing are the cheap end tract guys.

·
Estwing magic
27,425 Posts
The consensus in your Alabama class was completely wrong, electrician use the back stabs all the time.

There is nothing wrong with backstabbing, it's just internet rumors. The houses I work in are very often all backstabbed, yet I have more service calls for malfunctioning breakers than loose backstabs. Should they stop selling breakers?? :laughing:

It's just like the SquareD QO gossip, the internet will tell you how they are the best breakers, but I have had more calls for malfunctioning QO's than any other breaker.
If you don't know the history of the breaker, you can't blame the manufacturer.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts

When ever the HO calls and says they have a string of recepts not working, plan on finding backstabs. Backwire maybe, backstab never. Perfectly legal but perfectly worthless. Not worth the melted recept and cover. Plus the burn marks on the sheetrock!!! And, by the way, QO is the only way to go!:thumbsup::laughing:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Some of the guys I work with backstab. Supposedly it's "faster" I don't think it's difference enough to justify using them and if we ever have any failures, it's always a result of this. Every once in a while I'll backstab a device, but just one and then remember that I take pride in my work.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
..........There is nothing wrong with backstabbing, it's just internet rumors. ......

So the 17 service calls I did last year that were caused by backstabs failing are just rumors?

Can someone start a rumor about me winning the lottery? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
When ever the HO calls and says they have a string of recepts not working, plan on finding backstabs. Backwire maybe, backstab never. Perfectly legal but perfectly worthless. Not worth the melted recept and cover. Plus the burn marks on the sheetrock!!! And, by the way, QO is the only way to go!:thumbsup::laughing:
every time i get one of these calls thats what i hope to find, but most of the time it turns out to be something else. a few times its been a tripped gfi up the line but mostly its because 90% of the houses here are sitting maybe a foot off of constantly damp soil and all the wiring is run underneath. most common failure is a staple thats been driven too tight that eventually causes a break in the wire.

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
Backstab never, backwire always. Especially when using THHN, 12 stranded. IT's a royal PITA, to terminate stranded on the terminal screws.
I've seen reverse strand twist, insulation left on the end to keep the strands together. To me, it doesn't look that good. :rolleyes:

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,177 Posts
If you didn't have backstabs it would mean pigtailing when you are hooking 12 wires up to a receptacle outlet...... oh, 13 when grounding... ..... . .. .

way too much work man, way too much.

Reactions: Bad Electrician

·
Banned
4,505 Posts
Backstab never, backwire always. Especially when using THHN, 12 stranded. IT's a royal PITA, to terminate stranded on the terminal screws.
I've seen reverse strand twist, insulation left on the end to keep the strands together. To me, it doesn't look that good. :rolleyes:
Backstabbing 12 wire is against code

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Crimp on connectors.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Backstabbing failures isn't the fault of backstabbing, it's the fault of not pigtailing.

Pigtailing paralleled devices should be a requirement in the codebook. I can find just as many terminal screw failures as pushpin failures when it comes to not pig tailing.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,177 Posts
Backstabbing failures isn't the fault of backstabbing, it's the fault of not pigtailing.

Pigtailing paralleled devices should be a requirement in the codebook. I can find just as many terminal screw failures as pushpin failures when it comes to not pig tailing.

macmike alway say...... Baroney. Far far more backstabs failures than screws , unless it is done by untrained, in which case backstab is better.

Reactions: robnj772

·
Registered
625 Posts
Almost every call I have gotten where something plugged in either stopped working and or something else stopped working was a stablock issue ..I seems obvious that over time when things are plugged in it will work the wire loose. . I would never stab a outlet always pigtail to 20 amp outlet. I do prefer stab connectors

learning to learn

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.