Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do people call an electrical outlet a "plug"? It drives me crazy. I hear it all the time. I am the only one who call it an outlet; I've never heard anyone else refer to it that way.

And why hasn't the dictionary caught on to this usage of calling an outlet a "plug"?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,440 Posts
I will call it what I have to when communicating to those who don't understand our lingo. You are not expected to understand the doctors lingo so others should not be expected to know the differences.

There is a whole lot more in this world to worry about then someone calling an outlet a plug. IMO

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,440 Posts
I suppose if you want to sound like a DIYer, you go right ahead. :thumbsup: Professionals, on the other hand, should use professional language.
I am very comfortable in my skin. Sounding professional means nothing in terms of the work one does so go ahead and think you are impressing the homeowners-- they probably have no idea that calling a receptacle a receptacle and not a plug is professional.

As I said I am comfortable using any term necessary and since the home owner is not a professional they will not have any idea that it sounds diy. That is your hangup.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I tell you the one I hate the most is "line".

"I am running a new "line" to my garage" as an example.

Its a damn circuit, a feeder, a service, not a line. A plumber runs lines, not electricians.
Eh, this has some sound basis in reality though. "Line" and "Load", lineman, line-voltage.

It's tough for me to draw the line between when something is technically accurate and when it's pedantic. Is every wire a "conductor" and every bulb a "lamp"? For the record, I do call them receptacles.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.