Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Contractor
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to start a fight or anything, but why do they even sell linesmans with that flat crushing area? Whats it good for? Every linesmans Ive ever bought had the crimper on it, and to me, thats something that makes sense to have.

·
AKA Luketrician
584 Posts
fish tape puller

Like what was already posted, flat area used to grip a fish tape in order to apply some serious pullin power to the tape'...works great

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Two uses come to mind:
A. As already stated, this flat area makes a good fish tape puller.
B. The other use, largely out of fashion, is to mash wire insulation so it is easier to strip with your Kleins. This was a standard way to strip stranded wire before wire strippers were common tools.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
It will hold a paslode nail at the perfect angle for toenailing.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Not trying to start a fight or anything, but why do they even sell linesmans with that flat crushing area? Whats it good for? Every linesmans Ive ever bought had the crimper on it, and to me, thats something that makes sense to have.
I never buy linesmans with the crimper on them. Those crimpers aren't the right ones for insulated crimps, and we never use non-insulated crimps so they would be pretty much useless for me. Do you guys really use non-insulated crimps that often? I guess if you do resi you could probably use them for the ground crimps. I don't do resi so that isn't applicable either.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I buy pliers with the crimper, they have a rounded out spot when the handle squeezes that grips snakes. They also come in handy for the occasional crimp since I am a solid guy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've seen linemen wrap solid wire using the crush area to grip the tail of the wire a wrap it around the wire and to tie wire into insulators

·
AKA Luketrician
584 Posts
oh and probably better than using it to grab a fish tape is this..

using it to serve BFC onto pull ropes, take a few long individual strands of some scrap conductor and thread them through the center of the "eye" and then use that flat part to really wrap & cinch down the long strands around and the cable "head", you can put some serious tension using the kliens that way

·
Senior Moment
7,895 Posts
Put 12 awg solid in the flat area and close it tight. The plastic insulation gets crushed and does not nick the wire. Just pull the residue insulation off with your fingers. It's fast and will not damage the wire.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
grabbing a fish tape withput damage( if done right)smashing insulation, torquing heavy wire bends, twisting wires together, using the side as a hammer to tighten locknuts, yes its cheaper to make them that way, get your finger in the way its good for removing skin, doesnt damage quite as bad as ***** when you cut a live wire, oh, look ,a butterfly!

·
Apprentice
102 Posts
I just tried using it to strip wire it works? Def need more technique but it's cool. But stripping with the cutting part of the pliers is still faster for me.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
I just tried using it to strip wire it works? Def need more technique but it's cool. But stripping with the cutting part of the pliers is still faster for me.
Try stripping #12 or #10 stranded rubber insulated without smashing first...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use it to crimp the outer jacket on the end of MC, keeps the wire in the jacket so you don't end up with feet of jacket flopping around with no wire in it.

I find the crimper to be pretty useless as a crimper, non insulated rated, and doesn't crimp nearly as nice as an actual set of crimping pliers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I did line work on the railroad we used the flat portion to remove insulation while up on the pole. The plastic insulation was easy to break if you crimped it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.