Electrician Talk banner

Why the hell do people run machines they have no experience using

1233 39
at work guy has no fork-lift license and the foreman gives him basically a 3 minute lesson now the guy wants to drive the fork-lift. This is dangerous iam staying far away when he operates that thing. The agency needs to send a person with forlift license.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,717 Posts
You can not get experience unless you use one. Even if you do the 2 hour safety course the basic driving instruction is normally 60 seconds as its a one seat machine.

I have taught at least a 100 people as a onsite forklift instructor. We simply make you watch the video's then take you out into the yard where we have set up a bunch of cones until you get confident on the machine. I have failed a couple of people but it doesn't happen very often.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,729 Posts
Speaking of fork trucks, has any body played " fork lift football"? I was working at a warehouse before all this safety stuff came about and the crews were playing football with the fork truck. The fork truck drove back and forth and the players had to get the football between the forks and the driver had to maneuver so that the football did not get between them.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
9,143 Posts
at work guy has no fork-lift license and the foreman gives him basically a 3 minute lesson now the guy wants to drive the fork-lift. This is dangerous iam staying far away when he operates that thing. The agency needs to send a person with forlift license.
I agree ! Once they have a licence, then they are good drivers.
I see it every day on the city roads ... Licensed drivers, driving safely :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,717 Posts
Have you ever had to teach one of your kids to drive? Right there with being an inexperienced Captain being paired up with a fresh FO. Good times there too.
Mini copper turbo stick shift was not the perfect car to teach my son to drive. Don't know what smelt worse him burning the front tires or the clutch.

He learn to drive on the xbox so he though the pedals were either on and off.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,613 Posts
I was working for a company that required a 2 hour safety course and a check out drive for all equipment. I was finally getting my boom truck cert and listened intently to the instructor and when given the oky doky to get into the bucket. First checked the the breaks and parking air breaks the truck had, climbed on the back and was give instructions on how to get to the light fixture on the wall. I brought the boom off the cradle and was turning and booming at the same time. STOP, STOP, screamed the instructor. I waited he walked over and stated "You have done this before, once or twice I replied. Why did you not say anything, I was told to listen to you and learn. You never asked me if I had any experience. The training outline was changed after that.

Had an employee drive a JLG lift off the loading dock while up in the air 20 feet. He kept asking why he had to go get drug tested. Then I layed him off. Was lucky there was no damage to the lift. I have rented hundreds of them but do not want to own one.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
9,143 Posts
I have been running equipment since I was 17. I am 51 now. Never had 'official training". Was shown by people who know how to operate. Not everything requires 'official training'. I could pick your nose with an excavator.
I remember my Bucket Truck training (25 or 30 yrs ago).
Crew Leader said get in the bucket. Told me where to shackle off. Showed me the joystick, said hold bottom lever, lift up to raise. Push forward to extend, and push this way to go right, that way to go left.
Then he said "Have Fun" .
Training in 30 seconds :geek:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I remember my Bucket Truck training (25 or 30 yrs ago).
Crew Leader said get in the bucket. Told me where to shackle off. Showed me the joystick, said hold bottom lever, lift up to raise. Push forward to extend, and push this way to go right, that way to go left.
Then he said "Have Fun" .
Training in 30 seconds :geek:
That sums up my forklift training 25 years ago, and man-lift training 20 years ago.

Nowadays employers have to pretend you forgot all your skills immediately when the annual certificate expires :rolleyes: ...yet Im allowed to keep right on driving my personal vehicle - last trained 29 years ago. Amazing.

·
Registered
Unemployed
4,914 Posts
As was said by others all my training was here you go. Electric Pallet Jack, Fork truck, Pendent crane, Overhead crane, Bobcat, Mini excavator, Dozer, Backhoe and others .

I think I was 19 when I was told to go up in the overhead crane and play with it. That thing stop quick when it hits the end too fast!!!!

·
Registered
Emergency generator technician
26 Posts
Whats training? 20 years ago I said yeah I can run the forklift or boom crane and there I was unloading my own truck. 18 skids of wallstone and a piggyback forklift that humg off the tail of the trailer. I only needed to be seen how to load the lift onto the trailer.

It will work till it don't.

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
4,276 Posts
When I first went to work for a pump and tank company, the "fuel guys" had to dig the electrical trenches since I had no experience on a backhoe. Well it didn't take long before I figured out how to run the backhoe and just did it myself.

The fun part was all of our backhoes were 2WD and we often worked in mud. Had to learn to push yourself around on some sites.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,717 Posts
When I first went to work for a pump and tank company, the "fuel guys" had to dig the electrical trenches since I had no experience on a backhoe. Well it didn't take long before I figured out how to run the backhoe and just did it myself.

The fun part was all of our backhoes were 2WD and we often worked in mud. Had to learn to push yourself around on some sites.

I thought they were all 4 paw drive back in those days

Cartoon Tree Art Illustration Drawing

1 - 20 of 40 Posts