Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Estwing magic
26,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t want to hear conspiracy theories, I want to know if there are logical reasons for material shortages.

It is becoming more common to hear “I don’t know” as an answer to enquires for price and delivery. I was looking for common utility cable and nobody had anything except scraps left over from the end of the roll. Delivery on more is unknown. I was looking for electric heaters for a job expecting six weeks delivery. The answer I got was essentially, “Thanks for talking to us but don’t do it again”.

I don’t have to tell you guys about the breaker shortage. I went to a wholesaler last week and a sign at the counter said they were out of common duplex receptacles. What’s going on?

If I bid a job, should I just say, “I dunno but give me a key to the place and I’ll do it sometime”?

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,893 Posts
I have to go to multiple suppliers to gather all the material, for just about every project.
Even had a panel from Lowes in Edmonton shipped to Winnipeg. (no wholesales anywhere on the prairies had stock)
Now, I'm hoping that a guy in Vancouver has a breaker I need for another job.
Wire prices are only good till the end of day, let alone the insane price increases
I'm really glad I stopped bidding public tender projects.

Reactions: Max C.

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
Many things are choking the supply chain.

Transportation is one. Shipping container shortage. Ship shortage. Plenty of stuff is made and sitting at ports. Bidding war for space on a ship.

Supplies - maybe the copper and pastic is in sufficient supply and at the right places, but maybe they don't have a product they need in the process, like a chemical compound. Maybe that dab of grease. A sticker. Could be anything.

I'm still confident in the futures prices. Lumber and copper have stopped the "hockey stick" price changes.

The economy was overheated. All hands on deck to beat the plague. Pump trillions of dollars worldwide into not only knocking down the plague but saving world economies. They gave it their best shot and this is what we got. Plenty of Monday morning quarterbacking to complain about but it is what it is.

Just remember not everyone came out of it. Many died from the plague. Many died from suicide. It's tough. Be patient, be polite, be sure to protect yourself in your contracts.

Quotes based on market availability and market pricing at time of quote. Final amounts to include adjustment for time & cost to procure materials - might have to drive a province over to get that panel, pay extra shipping & wait on FedEx, etc. or might not be able to do the job at all. But before you charge your client $185/ hour to drive 10 hours to pick up a wirenut, you need to run it by them.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
One factor for sure is the lack of truck drivers. I'm not sure why but my thought is who want's to drive trucks with all the crappy rude drivers on the road.
Another factor is that we import everything. The US needs to step up and start producing common goods that we use rather than buying everything from overseas.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,581 Posts
I think @MikeFL is pretty close. We know many manufacturing facilities took a hit due to COVID, then when you add in things like the EVERGREEN situation and the lack of crews to go on ships (even before the pandemic) I think we found the sweet spot for failure.

We know that almost all facilities use the JIT model and do not stockpile any materials or supplies; well if you need that sticker and you did not keep an extra roll on the shelf, you got product waiting to ship.

Because Canada relays so much on imports, we do not make anything here really we are at the mercy of any slightest supply chain issue; from raw materials, assembly, testing / certification, logistics or even installation.
If the plant that makes the plastic for breakers and receptacles was shut down for 3-8 weeks for covid, then the and the place that generates the raw material for the plastic was shut down, and the warehouse that distributes the breakers was shut down… well you get where I am going.

I think it is a great example of just how integrated and fragile the supply chain is around the world and if countries or companies are not self-sufficient then they will feel the effects immediately.

When all of this started, I took the risk of stocking up some things such as panels, breakers meter sockets, wire, etc. I am pretty much out of most of it now, but I have been able to service all of my clients to date. I have had to make a few substitutions here and there and the only thing I am actually waiting for is quad breakers from Siemens. However, it will not be long where I am going to have to and start saying I cannot get this or that because of shortages.

Cheers
John

·
Estwing magic
26,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, this is starting to make sense. I’m like the rest of you, I’m getting creative. I found heaters collecting dust at Lowe’s. I found a 30/15 tandem breaker at HD collecting dust. Not too many homeowners need a SP 30A breaker. I wonder what the new normal will be?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,358 Posts
I am smiling for myself and feeling bad for you guys who have to deal with this. Some contractors are trying to get co's but can't find the products to complete their job. What a drag if you are trying to open a business.

Reactions: MikeFL and Easy

·
Registered
14,437 Posts
This is what happens when you try and "shut down" things, sorry can't do it, the world has become a 24/7/365 operation. Keeping joe blow home for a month from his job at xyz inc, closing abc corp. for a few weeks has soooooooo many ripple effects people don't think about.

81 is right too, the whole Texas mess really ****ed anything plastic a second time, so basically everything in today's world. IMO I shouldn't have to pay more for pvc conduit cause they couldn't be bothered to heat trace their refinery lol.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,667 Posts
So… no conspiracy theories huh, how about conspiracy hypothesies?
There we go, thank you, now I am in.

They are saying there's a microprocessor shortage preventing creating a choke point for the automotive industry, they can't sell a car or truck without the many microprocessors that control the electronics.

However there are many other microprocessor controlled products. Not just computers and technology, which were understandably in short supply early in the pandemic due to a massive shift to work-from-home. But microwaves, ring doorbells, TVs, and a zillion other consumer products have microprocessors in them. If you've been watching Amazon this last year there's no shortage of that junk.

Could it be that our Chinese overlords are producing microprocessors for their own products but deliberately holding back microprocessors to **** the automotive industry, which they have very little market share? That is my hypothesis.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,910 Posts
I ordered a combination starter and after 3 weeks I received three 60 amp fuses that I didn’t want.
The reply was oh sorry we’ll send something else in a few weeks. WTF???

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,910 Posts

They are saying there's a microprocessor shortage preventing creating a choke point for the automotive industry, they can't sell a car or truck without the many microprocessors that control the electronics.

However there are many other microprocessor controlled products. Not just computers and technology, which were understandably in short supply early in the pandemic due to a massive shift to work-from-home. But microwaves, ring doorbells, TVs, and a zillion other consumer products have microprocessors in them. If you've been watching Amazon this last year there's no shortage of that junk.

Could it be that our Chinese overlords are producing microprocessors for their own products but deliberately holding back microprocessors to **** the automotive industry, which they have very little market share? That is my hypothesis.
a large part of that shortage was from Taiwan.
First they had a typhoon wipe a lot of things out and then a drought caused a water shortage.
They are just now coming back online and up to speed.
So it’s a several year event that caused the shortage today.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,335 Posts
I hope I'm not alive when the real resource wars start. It's going to be ugly.
Maybe, but what kind of world have I/We left my children and my grand babies?
Even so come Lord Jesus. We are living in the truly last days.

·
Registered
520 Posts

As far as Automotive chips, almost all of those microprocessors are made in Taiwan or Korea. TSMC and Samsung. Wall St forced American chipmakers out of the market and the US fell behind in innovation. Intel is trying to get back in the game with a big investment in a new plant in New Mexico. The drought in Taiwan has made chip production bog down.

Check out News Article

I took a chance on a penny stock and bought 500 shares of TSMC years ago, best investment I ever made.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts