Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Estimator/PM last couple years. Switched to electrical trade in 1995.
20 Posts
No conspiracy...the world just went through and in some places is continuing to be greatly affected by the pandemic. I personally feel nothing should of been shut down. But that is a whole other topic.
Manufacturing was on hold and in some places it still is. One example is lumber. Shortage and high prices is the direct result of all the sawmills that closed.
Two, ammunition...ammo companies were behind before the pandemic and shut downs! The amount of new gun owners and people hording ammo is unprecedented.
Three, copper is being depleted because of the 'green' agenda. This is one item that will not get better. This is only three examples. Everything else is also related to the 2020 fiasco.
Keep acting like sheep and it won't ever change.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
874 Posts
A lot of industries shut down for safety.
A lot of industries shut down for lack of workers.
International shipments were stopped indefinitely at one point. There were also long quarantine periods.
Transportation is still limited.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Planning simple jobs now suck. I miss the good old days when you could go to the supply house in the morning and they had everything you needed for the job that day, no worries.
I know, right.

We are starting to come up with some interesting methods just to get the jobs done. I wonder what it’s going to look like this time next year….

·
Registered
Electrician
263 Posts
I know, right.

We are starting to come up with some interesting methods just to get the jobs done. I wonder what it’s going to look like this time next year….
I keep saying to myself it's got to be over soon, but then I need something simple like a 2" PVC weatherhead and SH is out of stock, so I find myself crawling on the floor at Lowe's to find the one that fell behind the shelf long ago.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,756 Posts
Planning simple jobs now suck. I miss the good old days when you could go to the supply house in the morning and they had everything you needed for the job that day, no worries.
For large jobs I've been ordering parts months in advanced. I'm now a bank.

I just changed out a small 6 space sub panel in an apartment my mother owns.

Panel - Lowes
5 breakers - supply house
1 breaker - amazon

What a complete joke. I have more time sourcing the.parts than the job took to complete. And I refuse to accept a dime for parts/work.

·
Super Moderator
7,168 Posts
From an e-mail I got this morning asking a counterpart how he's making out on shipping.

"A 40ft container used to cost around $4000 is now costing us $28,000 as of yesterday."

·
Registered
2 Posts
There we go, thank you, now I am in.

They are saying there's a microprocessor shortage preventing creating a choke point for the automotive industry, they can't sell a car or truck without the many microprocessors that control the electronics.

However there are many other microprocessor controlled products. Not just computers and technology, which were understandably in short supply early in the pandemic due to a massive shift to work-from-home. But microwaves, ring doorbells, TVs, and a zillion other consumer products have microprocessors in them. If you've been watching Amazon this last year there's no shortage of that junk.

Could it be that our Chinese overlords are producing microprocessors for their own products but deliberately holding back microprocessors to **** the automotive industry, which they have very little market share? That is my hypothesis.
Possibly one of the ripple effects... I.e. they are just making best case for their business doesn't mean they are out for us. The world does not revolve around us sparkies even if there is evidence it does :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don’t want to hear conspiracy theories, I want to know if there are logical reasons for material shortages.

It is becoming more common to hear “I don’t know” as an answer to enquires for price and delivery. I was looking for common utility cable and nobody had anything except scraps left over from the end of the roll. Delivery on more is unknown. I was looking for electric heaters for a job expecting six weeks delivery. The answer I got was essentially, “Thanks for talking to us but don’t do it again”.

I don’t have to tell you guys about the breaker shortage. I went to a wholesaler last week and a sign at the counter said they were out of common duplex receptacles. What’s going on?

If I bid a job, should I just say, “I dunno but give me a key to the place and I’ll do it sometime”?
The same happened in the mid 2000s we were told to save any straight 6 ft lengths of pipe we ripped out to re use you just couldn't get it.
I'm in Australia now and you can't get material It's the same everywhere the 'post covid boom'

·
Registered
10 Posts
There we go, thank you, now I am in.

They are saying there's a microprocessor shortage preventing creating a choke point for the automotive industry, they can't sell a car or truck without the many microprocessors that control the electronics.

However there are many other microprocessor controlled products. Not just computers and technology, which were understandably in short supply early in the pandemic due to a massive shift to work-from-home. But microwaves, ring doorbells, TVs, and a zillion other consumer products have microprocessors in them. If you've been watching Amazon this last year there's no shortage of that junk.

Could it be that our Chinese overlords are producing microprocessors for their own products but deliberately holding back microprocessors to **** the automotive industry, which they have very little market share? That is my hypothesis.
This part I can answer. Most of the world's ICs are grown in Taiwan, at the various TSMC plants. Most of the rest are grown in South Korea's Samsung plants. When the CCP virus hit, almost all auto manufacturers cancelled existing orders to preserve cash. Conversely, Chinese and Chinese-based (e.g. Apple or Foxconn) companies increased orders. It takes around 26 weeks to grow a wafer. For those who don't know, ICs are grown in large wafers one microscopic layer at a time, with laser etching done between layers. After the wafer (nowadays they are more like little towers than wafers) is finished, then the individual ICs are cut out, itself a fairly slow and very precise process, and the raw individual ICs sent to factories mostly in China, Taiwan, South Korea, Malaysia and Indonesia to be packaged into usable chips, then on to other factories to be assembled into products. Now automobile manufacturers are desperately trying to get back into the game but they are at the tail end of a long list of orders in an overstrained supply chain. We're literally seeing the collision of Just-In-Time manufacturing and a multiyear procurement chain, precipitated by panic among the people in charge who don't understand their own processes and supply chains.

This is the essence; feel free to season to taste with conspiracy theories. And if you think this is bad, just wait until China invades Taiwan. Then mass manufacturing of anything beyond seventies level technology is pretty much exclusive to Communist China and (assuming China doesn't invade or blockade them) South Korea.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts