Electrician Talk banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,330 Posts
This part I can answer. Most of the world's ICs are grown in Taiwan, at the various TSMC plants. Most of the rest are grown in South Korea's Samsung plants. When the CCP virus hit, almost all auto manufacturers cancelled existing orders to preserve cash. Conversely, Chinese and Chinese-based (e.g. Apple or Foxconn) companies increased orders. It takes around 26 weeks to grow a wafer. For those who don't know, ICs are grown in large wafers one microscopic layer at a time, with laser etching done between layers. After the wafer (nowadays they are more like little towers than wafers) is finished, then the individual ICs are cut out, itself a fairly slow and very precise process, and the raw individual ICs sent to factories mostly in China, Taiwan, South Korea, Malaysia and Indonesia to be packaged into usable chips, then on to other factories to be assembled into products. Now automobile manufacturers are desperately trying to get back into the game but they are at the tail end of a long list of orders in an overstrained supply chain. We're literally seeing the collision of Just-In-Time manufacturing and a multiyear procurement chain, precipitated by panic among the people in charge who don't understand their own processes and supply chains.

This is the essence; feel free to season to taste with conspiracy theories. And if you think this is bad, just wait until China invades Taiwan. Then mass manufacturing of anything beyond seventies level technology is pretty much exclusive to Communist China and (assuming China doesn't invade or blockade them) South Korea.
How many of you guys and gals would embrace a simpler F-100, D-100, C-10 truck with a carbureted inline 6 and a manual transmission with crank windows? I know I would even at 16-18 mpg. No chips, no problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How many of you guys and gals would embrace a simpler F-100, D-100, C-10 truck with a carbureted inline 6 and a manual transmission with crank windows? I know I would even at 16-18 mpg. No chips, no problem.
I drive a Ranger Edge with an injected V6 & crank windows, if that helps. 20 mpg, up to 23 if I'm driving 55 with no slow downs. So I'm almost there. :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
I drive a Ranger Edge with an injected V6 & crank windows, if that helps. 20 mpg, up to 23 if I'm driving 55 with no slow downs. So I'm almost there. :D
Not quite as you may think. My '95 V6 injected Ranger with Automatic trans and crank windows contains SEVEN computer controlled modules to run the truck and its features. It had an intermittent electrical problem when I got it years ago, and I had to test many of those modules and their wiring connections.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not quite as you may think. My '95 V6 injected Ranger with Automatic trans and crank windows contains SEVEN computer controlled modules to run the truck and its features. It had an intermittent electrical problem when I got it years ago, and I had to test many of those modules and their wiring connections.
Yeah mine's a straight shift but it probably has even more, each one controlling one subsystem and talking to each other. All I can say is they better not be talking about me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don’t want to hear conspiracy theories, I want to know if there are logical reasons for material shortages.

It is becoming more common to hear “I don’t know” as an answer to enquires for price and delivery. I was looking for common utility cable and nobody had anything except scraps left over from the end of the roll. Delivery on more is unknown. I was looking for electric heaters for a job expecting six weeks delivery. The answer I got was essentially, “Thanks for talking to us but don’t do it again”.

I don’t have to tell you guys about the breaker shortage. I went to a wholesaler last week and a sign at the counter said they were out of common duplex receptacles. What’s going on?

If I bid a job, should I just say, “I dunno but give me a key to the place and I’ll do it sometime”?
You really want an answer to this?
Then get ready to read.
And take comfort and solace that this tome is actually a very abridged version.

What is most "fascinating" to me is that it took 2020 for most folks to see the supply chain problems . . . .
HELLO?!

The Obummer years followed the 2008 financial crash.

The financial crash - completely generated by government regulations created by Rep Frank and Sen Dodd - after Clinton started the BS with the CRA (Community Reinvestment Act) - after etc . . . .

So the 2008 crash came along after piles of shyt were bundled together into bigger piles of shyt.

Financial resources relatively dried up.
Industrial expansions were for the most part put on hold.
If the project was hydrocarbon-fired (coal, oil, etc) Obummer put it on hold.
And ObummerCare shut the rest down.

Then Trump happened.

Full Disclosure:
I did not vote for Trump.
I voted against Hillary.
And I almost voted third party.
So I'm not a Trump maniac.

In the final Obummer years, money was falling out of corporate pockets desperate to go to work.
Money WILL seek out opportunity.
Government is usually in the way with a vacuum cleaner.
By 2016 money is getting invested.
If for no other reason, it was desperate to get back to work.
Money / Assets WILL do this.

So Trump happens.

Within 6 to 12 months it starts to become obvious that regulations and red tape are being cut.
Investment will be rewarded.

Buy the end of 2017, spot shortages are already developing.
We first saw in certain MC cable products and dual-function breakers.
Standard 12/2 MC and ITB breakers and CAFCI and GFCI breakers were still easy to come by.
But 12/2/2 (Two hots, two nots, and a green), 12/4/w/g and the newer DF breakers needed a second trip for the back ordered product.

The construction materials manufacturers sort of struggle, as well as dragging their feet, to expand as they fear a correction.
The correction never comes.
Expansion and building activity actually accelerates.

Now should we talk about labor?
By 2018 we were seeing mid 40's per hour on rural south Minnesota, NON-UNION projects plus per diem.

Then 2020 happened.

O.M.G.!!

Everything that was wrong with our supply chain just got twice as bad.

Bottom line:
2020 did not cause the supply chain problems.
They were already there and so weak anything could break them.

One of the more visible supply chain problems and shortages are with semiconductors/chips.
Everything is getting them these days, even light bulbs and breakers.

Now thousands of F-150's sit, fully assembled, waiting for that one last chip so they can ship.
Which drives up the cost of even used vehicles because the new ones are not available.

But as the semiconductor industry expands, which is a multi-billion dollar effort at each location, it worries about a surplus of chips by 2024.

Just-in-time-inventory hopefully will be tempered by just-in-case-inventory.

PS:
Trump lost much of my support when he listened to the doom-dayers and shut down the country in March 2020.
Quite possibly the absolutely stupidest reaction anyone has come up with.
Too bad Europe, Australia, and New Zealand leaders still think that shutting everything down is the course to take.
They should all swing.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Trump
. Obummer doesn't really help you make a convincing point.

Since Reagan the trade wars have never favored America. Nothing has changed. The real culprit is Wall St investors. Shut a factory down, get rid of all the pesky workers, move production to China, and make more profit and increase dividends. The wealthiest Americans love it and keep silent. What's happening now? All of you are bitching and Wall St is making money hand over foot. True Capitalism. Aren't you happy, short supplies and increased demand, an investors dream. You don't hear hedge fund managers and investment bankers complaining do you? To hell with American jobs and production. This has been going on for 40 years, not Obama's fault, not Trumps fault. If anything giving China the Most Favored Trading Nation status by Clinton and Papa Bush (lobbied for by Wall St) and the machinations in the following years has led to this. America's greed and wanting to buy cheap goods led to the collapse of American industry. Any attempt to reverse this has like Normalizing Trade Relations With China Was a Mistake has failed. It's the Golden Rule, he who has the most gold makes the rules. Enjoy your Harbor Freight Tools and cheap Nike's because we don't make patronize our own companies anymore, too expensive. Now even Craftsman tools are junk made in China.

Those chips made in Taiwan are there because Wall St bean counters shut down Intel and sent production offshore. Don't blame politicians. The US produces just 12% of the world's computer chip supply. Here's why it's trailing China when it comes to manufacturing and how it plans to get ahead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think you can blame Trump for "15 days to flatten the curve". At that time early studies were showing 10% mortality; February's studies increased to 15% mortality, with probable severe long term effects. Those numbers are society killers; they can and have toppled civilizations. We now know that level of mortality was due to improper treatment, but no one had ever encountered an engineered virus in the wild. Research scientists understood the increased lethality of the CGG-CGG splice but they were only studying how to create it and how to recognize it, not yet how to clinically treat it. Nobody knew how to treat it except perhaps the Chinese and they certainly weren't helping. Sure, in hindsight shutting down was exactly the wrong response but hindsight is always 20-20.

I think FaultCurrent's rant is spot on. We can point at Clinton as the man most responsible for the death of our country, but Republicans voted to give China Most Favored status at an even higher percentage than the Democrats. Hell, we can go back to Nixon; our nation's worst single foreign relations blunder was in courting China rather than India as a hedge against the Soviet Union. We have absolutely nothing in common with the Chinese government and a great deal in common with India, including being a former British colony. We can equally blame both parties, but let's not forget to blame ourselves as well. We're the ones who bought the cheap offshore crap when there were still American-made alternatives. Now every bit of that is coming home to roost. Personally I think we're about to suffer a global recession that will make 2007-2008 seem like the Great Picnic, and I think it's going to be intentional. It's the World Economic Forum's Great Reset. "The year is 2030. You own nothing, and you've never been happier." Presumably the billionaires will be miserable, since they are going to own everything.

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
342 Posts
Got a 64 f250 sitting out front with not a single electronic component, even has points ignition. Bring on the solar flares or chip shortages or whatever future catastrophe is going to make all the confusers not work one day. Hell my new truck is an 87 Ford with the 300 straight 6.

·
Registered
Electrician
35 Posts
I have an 84 F-150, 300 cu in six 4 speed manual. It has a computer and electronic ignition. Not immune, an EMP will take it out!;)
I've got basically the very same vehicle (86 F-150)..basic fleet white vehicle W/ 8' bed. (been darn good vehicle too)..But having already replaced w/ another.
Having it stored @ storage facility ($50month), which it's been there longer than anticipated.. Can't fit into my two car attached & can't leave it parked in driveway. (neighborhood rules)..

Seen a TV commercial "Cars for Kids" and been meaning give them call, donate & possibly the proceeds may help another.. Just having no excuse retaining vehicle any longer..

Electrician w/a big heart..

41 - 50 of 50 Posts