Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Wrong type of fixture for the chosen wiring method. Those stupid dusk to dawn lights are made to be mounted to utility poles and wired with free air conductors.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Oh yeah.....well I did my best. Lets see if you can do better:jester:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was on a convenience store in cannon falls Minnesota. There was a 1/2 inch knockout on the fixture. Maybe run 12 inches of sealtite from the box to fixture. I personally would have installed a wallpack over the conduit stub coming out of the wall.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
Who even choose that. No supply houses near by? And good luck when that ballast fails in a year.
Why would the ballast fail? Those lights are made to be wall mounted. Yes the wiring method is wrong(maybe because it is only a damp location) but just because it is not the way you would do this does not make it wrong.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Somebody had an extra fixture whip laying around. Is that a weatherproof round?

Yes it's a weatherproof round. I don't know if the fixture is rated for mounting to a wall. I know dusk to dawn fixtures have the option to be wall mounted or pole mounted, but this one swings to the side to access the wiring compartment. It looks like the fixture is too big to swing to the left on the hinge pin.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Why would the ballast fail? Those lights are made to be wall mounted. Yes the wiring method is wrong(maybe because it is only a damp location) but just because it is not the way you would do this does not make it wrong.
Most of those fixtures I've seen aren't made to be wall mounted. They come with a slightly rounded back, to match up with a wooden pole.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Because we are electricians, and ripping apart each others work is how we pass the time.

·
Can't Remember
10,446 Posts
Could be worse, piece of romex out in the breeze. Worse sins seen here than this. Piece of carflex and some THHN and life is good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts