Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Thumper
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting the hunt for a new pocket size wide angle jobsite camera.

If you haven't tried one yet, the difference is huge... you can get way more people in your shots and can make shots of your work look more vibrant if you can do decent composition.

I need one pretty soon because we are selling our house in Maryland/DC as soon as the work is finished.

Had one in the past for before/after work photos but it was damaged, and the warranty replacement they sent was "upgraded model" without the wide angle lens.

Will be updating this thread with the best contenders I find and maybe a poll if there is enough interest.

·
Thumper
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only looking to spend around $250-$350 max, this one is going to end up being wife-handled frequently.

I'll save the $3000 DSLR for the Kevin super-tramping. :thumbup::laughing::thumbup:

You know of any decent snap over wide angle lenses for smartphones that don't fisheye?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
.........You know of any decent snap over wide angle lenses for smartphones that don't fisheye?

Get a panoramic app.

Does anybody know if its possible to resize images using the forum bbcode or do I have to use an injection attack to get the pixel dimensions in there? :thumbsup:
Injection attack? Sounds like you are at the emergency room!

Simply resize images before uploading. 600-800 pixels along the long edge, max., is sufficient.

·
Thumper
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Injection attack? Sounds like you are at the emergency room!

Simply resize images before uploading. 600-800 pixels along the long edge, max., is sufficient.
When uploading images it's sometimes useful to post them at 50% dimensions so that people can hover to get the mag glass then click for the full.
I do it all the time on websites but in that case I'm writing the HTML.

·
Thumper
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But it only goes to 24mm? That's not very wide is it?

My DSLR goes down to 18mm and I still don't consider that a very wide angle.
We have DSLR's for artistic shots, they don't go with me in jobsites, on riverboats, or in venues. We are shopping for something that can go in the trucks gloveboxes and bridge the gap between cellphone cameras and the DSLR's by taking more shots/footage that is good enough for marketing/tv.

Sorry, should have posted full criteria we are looking for in a field camera is:
  • Pocket size
  • Wide angle lens
  • 1080P Video @ 60
  • Slow motion video
  • Time lapse video
  • Remote control or wifi control
  • Mad stability control for video
  • Price under $300

This chart is from Ken Rockwell's How to use ultrawide lenses.

Attachments

·
Thumper
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
But it only goes to 24mm?
Good luck with that budget.
Thanks 480, yeah, I know it's a tall order but I don't want to pay more for something that's going to get beatup, lost or stolen on jobs, like if we setup a time lapse... So far including shipping I think the the Lumix DMC-ZS30 does meet my budget and criteria for a glovebox camera... here are the lens details.

Leica DC Vario-Elmar, 12 elements in 10 groups
3 Aspheric, 2 ED
EFL: 4.3-86 mm (35 mm equivalent: 24-480 mm)
Aperture: f/3.3 (W) - 6.4 (T) to f/8.0
Zoom Optical: 20x
Focus Range Wide: 19.69" (50 cm) - Infinity
Telephoto: 78.74" (200 cm) - Infinity
Wide Macro: 1.18" (3 cm) - Infinity
Tele Macro: 39.37" (100 cm) - Infinity

Frunk the lens is actually 4.3mm but because the sensor is smaller than film there is a crop factor adjustment to 24mm equivalent.

Anybody favor another brand/model or perhaps one which is more durable/waterproof?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.