Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install a wifi extender in a house with concrete and plaster walls, the originating wifi signal does not transmit well to a wireless extender so I am running a cat5 from the network to the remote wifi extender location for a hardwired connection.
Any recommendations for a good hardwired wifi extender?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I researched wifi extenders and found that the best way is to just set up a wireless access point (WAP) . Wifi extenders are generally useless to barely acceptable. You can buy a WAP ready to go (I got a Netgear) or you can make one out of an old router if you're handy. I believe this one is the best, I found out about it after I already bought and set up my Netgear:

Dont' know why the link won't work but it's the "Ubiquiti UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System Long Range"

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My house is constructed out of metal, concrete and plaster and my wifi was horrible. I bought a netgear nighthawk ac1900 and it services my entire house now with no repeaters of any kind. My house is 2400 square feet and the router is in the basement all the way on one end.

·
13,020 Posts
I researched wifi extenders and found that the best way is to just set up a wireless access point (WAP) . Wifi extenders are generally useless to barely acceptable. You can buy a WAP ready to go (I got a Netgear) or you can make one out of an old router if you're handy. I believe this one is the best, I found out about it after I already bought and set up my Netgear:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H4CDF4...=UTF8&colid=6V7ZCCSNW5ED&coliid=IITE6N2DUQ2UC

Dont' know why the link won't work but it's the "Ubiquiti UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System Long Range"
This is what I did at my house.

My main router is in the office and covers the downstairs just fine, but upstairs is kind of spotty. I had a Wireless access point so I run a Cat5e up there and wired it up. Set it up with the same SSID as the main router, but broadcasting on a different channel. I can take my iPhone and walk around the house and as I get toward the stairs, I see the signal drop a bar or two but when I get upstairs it detects the better signal from the WAP and switches over automatically. It's been working great.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I have been using this easily scalable, cloud managed, mesh solution. It's white box so I don't have to worry about price matching.

https://www.open-mesh.com/
I will point out that these work as a wireless bridge as well, my house has no cat5 or even cat3 HRs for that matter. I have 4 nodes in my house, one acts as a gateway (in my office), one for they main AV system, one for the MBR AV and one in my wife's office. Not only does it cover my entire yard with a single SSID, I attach about a block away as I am pulling up to my house.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts