Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, here is my question. I National

want to join the National Guard and the IBEW. I failed the aptitude test once and I am studding much harder this time. I have the 6 month wait till my next chance at the test and would like to join the national guard during that time. So I was curious if the National Guard would be a negative in the application processes. I know some companies don't want someone that could be gone for a year. So I'm scared it could hurt my chances of getting in. Any insight would be great thanks.
National Guard
National Guard
National Guard
National Guard

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
join the navy

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hi everyone, here is my question. I National

want to join the National Guard and the IBEW. I failed the aptitude test once and I am studding much harder this time. I have the 6 month wait till my next chance at the test and would like to join the national guard during that time. So I was curious if the National Guard would be a negative in the application processes. I know some companies don't want someone that could be gone for a year. So I'm scared it could hurt my chances of getting in. Any insight would be great thanks.
National Guard
National Guard
National Guard
National Guard
No it will not, and any company the discriminates against someone who is in the National Guard will be fined.

Good luck....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Electrician
3,563 Posts
No it will not, and any company the discriminates against someone who is in the National Guard will be fined.

Good luck....:thumbsup:
Harry, that sounds good in theory, but in reality, that is sometimes hard to prove.
I had it happen to me, and the guy said prove that is the reason you did not get hired.

After that I never had any problems except from one supervisor.
He said the rest of the guys where jealous of all my vacation time, so I told him to have them join too!

·
Registered
317 Posts
join the navy
This is a good idea. You could join the US Navy Construction Battalion (SeaBees). Not only will you receive training and access to federal benefits, you will qualify for the GI Bill. You can take online courses toward an associates degree if you can find a school teaching construction management. If you approach the IBEW with military training and a degree, you will look much more attractive than the average Joe off the street. You might even get to see some of the world. Just a thought.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Harry, that sounds good in theory, but in reality, that is sometimes hard to prove.
I had it happen to me, and the guy said prove that is the reason you did not get hired.

After that I never had any problems except from one supervisor.
He said the rest of the guys where jealous of all my vacation time, so I told him to have them join too!

I wonder if any of them did join?

·
Junior Mints
66 Posts
This is a good idea. You could join the US Navy Construction Battalion (SeaBees). Not only will you receive training and access to federal benefits, you will qualify for the GI Bill. You can take online courses toward an associates degree if you can find a school teaching construction management. If you approach the IBEW with military training and a degree, you will look much more attractive than the average Joe off the street. You might even get to see some of the world. Just a thought.
Locals go out of their way to hire veterans. Being in the national guard will give you something to do while you're unemployed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It'll help.

I am a Navy reservist and I know for a fact my schooling and accomplishments from the service got me ranked pretty high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts