Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,315 Posts
No Go. Separate the service conductors from the feeders after the disconnects. Another gutter above would work for the service feeds and you could keep your other setups as is. Don't forget proper service bonding of the service side gutter and conduits.

·
Registered
777 Posts
All feeder and branch-circuit conductors must be separated from service conductors. Service conductors are not provided with overcurrent protection where they receive their supply; they are protected against overload conditions at their load end by the service disconnect fuses or circuit breakers. The amount of current that could be imposed on feeder or branch-circuit conductors, should they be in the same raceway and a fault occur, would be much higher than the ampacity of the feeder or branch-circuit conductors. The gutter space of a panelboard cabinet or other electrical equipment enclosure is not a raceway (see definition of raceway in Article 100), therefore is not subject to the requirement of 230.7 Service conductors, feeder conductors, and branch circuit conductors can share the same gutter space, as shown in Exhibit 230.16. Conductor bending space requirements for cabinets are covered in 312.6 and 408.55, and conductor fill requirements for cabinet gutter spaces are covered in 312.8.

Explained from handbook.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
The wireway is a raceway.
Yeah I forgot the definition of raceway includes wireways but you do not get that impression when reading art. 376. In fact art 376.23 (B) talks about wireways used as a pull box. So what's the difference?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,315 Posts
I do not see an issue with this install. 230.7 deals with cables and raceways not boxes or troughs.
Dennis. Please. Kindly remove the Jimmy Hendrix picture from the array. I taught Jimmy during his first week as an electrical apprentice that you are not allowed to mix service conductors and non service conductors in the same raceway or conduit. Janis and George were slow learners, they never got the hang of that. So I fired em. I don't even remember the Morrison kid.

·
13,020 Posts
Dennis. Please. Kindly remove the Jimmy Hendrix picture from the array. I taught Jimmy during his first week as an electrical apprentice that you are not allowed to mix service conductors and non service conductors in the same raceway or conduit. Janis and George were slow learners, they never got the hang of that. So I fired em. I don't even remember the Morrison kid.
It's "Jimi"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.