Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a wire coiler? I'm looking for something inexpensive. Something small, like the size that Home Depot usually has in front of their big wire rack. A footage counter would be nice too.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,080 Posts

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's a bit more than I was looking to spend. :laughing:

I was hoping someone knew of an inexpensive model.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,080 Posts
here's an image. Shouldn't be too hard to figure how to copy the handle assembly for the unit on the right

·
Electrical Contractor
5,080 Posts
The one on the left is a wire coiler, the one on the right is for putting wire on reels.
Up here, most of our smaller wires/cables are on reels. Coils for small wires are a PITA.

·
Apprentice
102 Posts
Screw gun, 3/8 threaded rod, 3/8 nuts, washers, and a spool and another man to guide the wire as you spin the gun. More home made, but does this help?

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Screw gun, 3/8 threaded rod, 3/8 nuts, washers, and a spool and another man to guide the wire as you spin the gun. More home made, but does this help?
No. I don't want to put the wire on a spool or reel, I want to coil it. Take a look at the machine on the left side of the picture above, that's a coiler.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
other than whats already been posted and you are too cheap to buy.......nope :)
The type of coiler I am looking for hasn't been posted and I don't see how a milk crate is going to help.

Speaking to me like this is why God is punishing your belly.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The type of coiler I am looking for hasn't been posted and I don't see how a milk crate is going to help.

Speaking to me like this is why God is punishing your belly.

http://www.taymer.com/html/lr100_series.html

http://www.tulsapower.com/products/reel-things-accessories/small-wire-handling-equipment

http://www.kaisertech.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_Coilers___Cable_Reel_Holder.html

http://www.jakobthaler.com/de/26782-Produkte

you would have to contact any of them to find a distributor or to see if you could order direct

and every time my belly flares up and I have to do my business it makes me think of you.......what comes out is ugly and smelly :laughing:

·
Apprentice
102 Posts
How about using a wood spool and when you're done coiling, unscrew the spool top when you're done, and peel the wire off the center. Or lift it from Home Depot and call it a day!

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How about using a wood spool and when you're done coiling, unscrew the spool top when you're done, and peel the wire off the center. Or lift it from Home Depot and call it a day!
I've tried that actually. But it gets too tight to get the wire off. That's why the factory ones fold inwards.

·
Apprentice
102 Posts
Hack Work said:
I've tried that actually. But it gets too tight to get the wire off. That's why the factory ones fold inwards.
Maybe you could screw on a strip of ply wood to the spool, and when you're done knock it out from under the wire. Saving money is a hassle but when you find a way it makes you happy.

Also maybe if you cut out 1 or a few sections into the center of the spool, ie the center spool is 6 inches wide you could cut a 3x3 square, that may help decrease the grip the wire has on the spool. But you gotta be careful so the wire doesn't fall and lock into the hole.

Maybe if you have a spool and you cut a wedge into it from the top, and then cut a wedge of of wood to match that, and when you want to coil insert wedge, and when you want to take it off de-wedge. This one sounds pretty laborious to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.