Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The job is to install a box at face level for a wall light on the first floor of an existing, finished home.

The basement has a concrete foundation. On the foundation is an insulated wall with 2x6 vertical lumber, fiberglass insulation and plastic vapor barrier against the drywall. I need to snake a wire up from the basement into the wall to get power to this box.

I can drill into the bottom of the wall from the basement but visibility up the hole is impossible because the wall is set back from the foundation. I doubt that I will be able to locate the hole precisely at the edge of the drywall, but I'll try my best.

How do I get the snake on the drywall side of the insulation & vapor barrier?

Thank you for your help.

Bob

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
You are never going to get it perfect. You will do damage to the vapour barrier and you will bunch up some of the insulation. Only the Canadians will feel the effect of this travesty, though.

Oh, and call an electrician.

·
Estwing magic
27,269 Posts
The Canadian remedy: It's tough to fish through fibreglass pink. If it's Roxul, forget it. It's virtually impossible.

For short distances, you can sometimes get a tape between the insulation and the drywall. Sometimes you can get cable between the vapour barrier and the drywall. That can get you partially there.

Usually it involves surgery. Cut out drywall from stud to stud. Score it with a utility knife or a Hackzall held at an extreme angle. Don't cut it all the way through or you'll cut the vapour barrier. Bang it with a hammer to break up the drywall and peel it out in pieces. Cut open the vapour barrier and do your work. Repair the vapour barrier with Tuck Tape.

Patch, mud and tape.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Easy peasy on the lucky days, Hack. If you manage to get through, it probably means you have gouged the chit out of the insulation.
Sometimes you get in front of the insulation, sometimes you get behind it (ride up the outside sheathing) sometimes you go right thru it, and sometimes when pulling the wire it bunches up the insulation. But the wiring always gets thru.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Then give us your tricks. I at least tried to help the guy. All you have said is "easy peasy". The OP is obviously having difficulty.
Jesus dude, why are you being like this? The guy is a DIYer. But even ignoring that, I explained how I do it:

I've always just pushed a metal snake up and dug around in the insulation until I find it. Easy peasy.
That's exactly what I do.

WTF?

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Reactions: Majewski
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.