Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
The loop wiring method (rings) is not permitted in North America.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
You can't loop a wire between a breaker and a motor starter?
Would you explain more clearly what you're talking about? I've been in this trade for a heck of a lot of years, and I'm genuinely puzzled about what you mean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would you explain more clearly what you're talking about? I've been in this trade for a heck of a lot of years, and I'm genuinely puzzled about what you mean.
I see a lot of manufactured panel boards (breakers, contactors, input and output boards, etc), there is usually a loop between the breaker and the contactor to allow for expansion and contraction and also to hang the occassional ammmeter. The size of the loop is a bit puzzling in the NEC and a handfull of quarreling engineers. 300-34 says 8 times the diameter of the wire but that is a huge number and doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
I see a lot of manufactured panel boards (breakers, contactors, input and output boards, etc), there is usually a loop between the breaker and the contactor to allow for expansion and contraction and also to hang the occassional ammmeter. The size of the loop is a bit puzzling in the NEC and a handfull of quarreling engineers. 300-34 says 8 times the diameter of the wire but that is a huge number and doesn't make sense.
Gotcha. That's installer's preference. There are bend radius requirements for cable and such, but not for conductors. With or without a loop of any diameter is compliant.

I thought for a minute you were talking about a ring main.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.