Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used tens of thousands of Ideal red wire nuts in my time.

About 5 years ago, I found that sometime, with stranded wire, they simply fall off. I got into a JB that I personally installed a week prior and when I pulled the wiring out, a nut just fell to the ground.

I KNOW it was a good twisted connection and I wondered what the hell?

A couple years later I had the same thing happen on a solid to stranded #12 connection. WTF? This is not right. I started taping all my nuts in place on stranded connections.

Today, it happened again, so I took a good picture.

Fully aware that stranded connections are prone to failure, I made all these connections super tight. You can see in the picture that the wires are wrapped around each other several times...yet, when I was handling them later, a nut simply slipped off in my hand.

How the hell does this happen? If I didn't experience it several times now, I wouldn't believe it.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
I find them to work best when I leave a blunt end after I twist them with kleins. If I twist my wires to a point, they seem to go too far into the wire nut and the tapering effect tends not to work will with the spring. It happens with reds, tans, and oranges, the color or brand doesn't matter. Keep in mind that I'm in pipe country and the only time I use solid is in romex. The blunt end works well with any combination of wire, solid or stranded.

·
Registered
106 Posts
wire nut issues

stopped using those a while ago- seems quality was gone.
started using 3m red/yellows- much better also stranded to solid- do not pre twist- let the wire nut do the twisting- never fall off when I do not pre twist

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I use the blue can-twist and just nip the end flat so all strands are the exact same.
Don't seem to have any problems that way, but maybe someone else is getting the call back :)

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
When making stranded to solid connection, I let the stranded be about 1/64th of inch longer than the solid, no pre-twisting (but I do tighten the strands of the stranded).

I also prefer the old ideal 7xB series wirenuts. I've had the least amount of problems with that style.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Fully aware that stranded connections are prone to failure, I made all these connections super tight. You can see in the picture that the wires are wrapped around each other several times...yet, when I was handling them later, a nut simply slipped off in my hand.

How the hell does this happen? If I didn't experience it several times now, I wouldn't believe it.

My guess is that the stranded never got a good bite by the wirenut and when the wires were moved around, it (stranded wire) pulled back a little which allowed the sprint to loosen up on the solid and then fall off.

How's that theory sound?

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How's that theory sound?

It sounds......sound.

In the close up I can see a grove cut into the solid from the wire nut spring and maybe only the ends of the stranded wrapped. The nut might have grabbed the solid and wrapped it around the stranded without even properly squeezing the two together.

When I do small fixture wires, I always lead with the stranded. Maybe I should be more mindful and use the same method with #12 wire.....although it may such the stranded wire in first, not leaving room for the solid?

Or may use Wagos? :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I pretty much only use ideal tan twisters and reds and I've never had that happen yet to my knowledge. Interesting. I can see tugging on a lot more wires in my future...:mad:

:)

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I seldom need wire nuts and do not keep them on my truck, so my favorite brand is whatever the electrician I am working with hands me when I do need one.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
I think that the ideal winged nuts are just terrible for stranded wire. Get tan ideals or the 3m combo nuts.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts

·
Hoser
188 Posts
3M red/yellow. Done.
I've had a horrible time with the 3m tan/reds. They work fine on solid, but on either solid/stranded or just stranded, they seem to require extra finesse. Rather than just grabbing the solid, as is happening here with the ideal red, they grab up one stranded wire and leave the rest. Many coworkers have experienced the same thing, so it's not just my crappy technique.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
For what it's worth I believe hardworkingstiff nailed it. 35 years ago my grandfather taught me to leave stranded stick past solid a 1/16th or so. Never pretwist, have gone into j-boxes years later and never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts