Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,921 Posts
Don't have my ugly's or code book. Is #4 aluminum SER rated for 110a?
Not at all. #4 ser is rated at most 65 amps

·
Banned
95 Posts
Don't have my ugly's or code book. Is #4 aluminum SER rated for 110a?
No, not even close.

It depends on your code cycle (and any Philly laws), but in general 65amps.

Edit:
I posted at the same time as Dennis, I swear I didn't just copy what he said :whistling2:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry. I meant #2. #2 SEU can be used for main service feed but #2 SER can not be used for 100a load. Right. I'll check my book when I get home. I think it's #1.

·
Super Moderator
21,921 Posts
Kgb62-- you need to give more info. If this is a residence and the ser carries the entire load of the dwelling then you can use #2 ser for the feeder. The 2014 does things differently so I am not sure what code your are under. Also does the ser pass thru insulation?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sorry. I meant #2. #2 SEU can be used for main service feed but #2 SER can not be used for 100a load. Right. I'll check my book when I get home. I think it's #1.
Your test questions are confusing me. Do your own homework:laughing:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kgb62-- you need to give more info. If this is a residence and the ser carries the entire load of the dwelling then you can use #2 ser for the feeder. The 2014 does things differently so I am not sure what code your are under. Also does the ser pass thru insulation?

Sorry. I need wire size from generator to transfer switch. Genny puts out 92a. Wire size has to be 115% of listed ampacity or 105a. I think #2 SER is good for 100a. Pretty sure I need #1 SER.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
Sorry. I need wire size from generator to transfer switch. Genny puts out 92a. Wire size has to be 115% of listed ampacity or 105a. I think #2 SER is good for 100a. Pretty sure I need #1 SER.
The wire size only needs to be 100% as long add the generator has a breaker, not the 115 you mentioned

·
Banned
95 Posts
When you say 92A it makes me think you're wiring up Generac's new 22KW generator. If so, you don't need to do the 115% thing. But I don't believe the breaker is rated for aluminum conductors so some people choose to splice into copper at the house and run it in sealtite to the generator.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you say 92A it makes me think you're wiring up Generac's new 22KW generator. If so, you don't need to do the 115% thing. But I don't believe the breaker is rated for aluminum conductors so some people choose to splice into copper at the house and run it in sealtite to the generator.

You are correct. Generac 22kw. Meter and transfer sw on one side of the house and genny on the other. About 70' through crawl space. Trying to save cost on wire and difficult pipe run through the crawl space. I would splice to copper in sealtite to the genny. Transfer sw will take aluminum conductors. I dont think genny will.

And #2 is rated for 100a. Thx.

·
Registered
988 Posts
kgb62 said:
You are correct. Generac 22kw. Meter and transfer sw on one side of the house and genny on the other. About 70' through crawl space. Trying to save cost on wire and difficult pipe run through the crawl space. I would splice to copper in sealtite to the genny. Transfer sw will take aluminum conductors. I dont think genny will. And #2 is rated for 100a. Thx.
sorry #2 al isn't rated for 100 amps. It can only be used at a 100 rating when it is the main service feeders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts