Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am thinking about having the leftover wires stripped at our job sites.
Does anybody have experience with payback vs effort? What is available in the market for "unskilled labour" that works? How much would we need to invest?
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
absolutly worth it
we are doing it for years now and the payback period depends on what you strip and how expensive the machine is you buy.
we are using the StripMeister - easy to operated and only $279 the last time i checked

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Hi,
I am thinking about having the leftover wires stripped at our job sites.
Does anybody have experience with payback vs effort? What is available in the market for "unskilled labour" that works? How much would we need to invest?

I wouldn't buy the Stripmeister.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What size of wires can you strip with the standard machine? How long does the blade last? Any experience in ordering a replacement? I would imagine that can be the biggest pain....everybody wants to sell you something...and than it breaks within the first day or two....or you would need to by a new blade every 20 feet of cable ??? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't buy the Stripmeister.
HI, what would you recommend? We are thinking to take these to the job sites... having the apprentices strip the wires and drop them off already clean at the office. We would need 10-15 systems....
How long do the units / blades last?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Wiredoneright said:
HI, what would you recommend? We are thinking to take these to the job sites... having the apprentices strip the wires and drop them off already clean at the office. We would need 10-15 systems.... How long do the units / blades last?
Sounds like a waste of resources. Have the wire returned to the shop and get an apprentice in there once a week to do it all at one time, in one place with one machine. Then you don't have to worry about power for the stripper and setting up a secure spot to strip and store the wire on every site you are working on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We strip our copper..It has been a moneymaker..what I did was invest in a automatic wire stripper..strips wire as small as 14 Gauge up to 500mcm..we cut it in easy to handle lenths say 5-6 ft and run it through takes no time at all...Stripper was a investment ($1100.00) made that back with my first run to the scrap mill after I purchased it. Its made by Rack a Tier
Model CWS-2

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Go old school....Pile it all up, throw on some gas (I think mentioned already) and let nature take its course.

Reactions: butcher733

·
332 Posts
I got the rack-a-tiers brand cws-2 also. Bought new off eBay. Costly upfront, but I stripped (3) 110' pieces of 3/0, and a 110' piece of #4 in about 30 minutes including unloading and cutting into manageable lengths.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Burning the copper

Go old school....Pile it all up, throw on some gas (I think mentioned already) and let nature take its course.
That doesnt work around here in upstate NY..first of all all the black smoke sometimes triggers a response fronm the Fire Dept which leads to a ticket..and if I want the best price on the copper it has to be "clean bright copper"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts