Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys use a wire stripping machine to scrap your copper? I'm sick of the razor knife method and have been looking at the Copper Mine on amazon, it's a manual pull-through stripper buy has good reviews and is around $75, the drill feeding models start around $200. Anyone purchased a decent one they like?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
No but I've seen one made of deep strut and a screw down cutting wheel like on a pipe cutter that you mounted to the wall. The thing worked great. If I had a use for one I think I'd build one.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Used this one before and it worked really good.. just have to adjust it to different conductor sizes.

At this point I don't even think it's worth the time to bother stripping anything off copper.

·
13,020 Posts
Frank I was eyeing that one but I'll see how the manual ones work before paying double for a drill model
Don't waste your time with the manual one. Here's my drill model in action:

·
Registered
Electrician
4,428 Posts
Any of you guys use a wire stripping machine to scrap your copper? I'm sick of the razor knife method and have been looking at the Copper Mine on amazon, it's a manual pull-through stripper buy has good reviews and is around $75, the drill feeding models start around $200. Anyone purchased a decent one they like?
I ordered that one off Amazon and when I got it, some of the parts were missing. Most important, there were no blades in it!:mad:

So, I sent it back, re-ordered it, the 2nd one came missing the same parts!:censored:

Instead of sending it back right away I decided to email the company that makes it. They were aware of the problem and sent me the missing items plus an extra set of blades.:thumbsup:

Still haven't used it yet!:whistling2:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I have the manual Copper Mine one from Amazon. It took some time to get used to and get in a rythm, but I got 150 Lbs stripped in 8 hours.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered that one off Amazon and when I got it, some of the parts were missing. Most important, there were no blades in it!:mad:

So, I sent it back, re-ordered it, the 2nd one came missing the same parts!:censored:

Instead of sending it back right away I decided to email the company that makes it. They were aware of the problem and sent me the missing items plus an extra set of blades.:thumbsup:

Still haven't used it yet!:whistling2:
How long ago was the drama?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I have a stripping machine and used to run it daily

Used it to strip wire as small as 14 and as large as 4/0

worked pretty good and put a few dollars in my pocket

definitely paid for it over the years Ive had it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I usually don't bother stripping anything under 8 since I do it by hand with a razor knife so it'd be nice to go as low as 14s. Any of you guys have issues if there's a kink/crease in the wire going through the machine?

·
Registered
53 Posts
DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT! BUY ANY OF THE HAND CRANKED ONES! My brother and I got them to strip scrap, it should have paid off in one run, but that piece of crap didn't strip anything. They advertised 14awg to 4/0, we tested 14 that didn't work so we tried 3/0 that didn't work either. I'm sure there are a couple out there that are machined properly, but the ones we got were poorly machined and the tolerances were horrible. The blade that spins and is supposed to open the insulation would just slide out of the way, or not make it through the insulation.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO BUY ONE, TAKE YOUR TIME AND FIND A GOOD COMPANY/BRAND FIRST!

Good luck, hopefully you dont get screwed like us.

We got this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRILL-OPERA...294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cc9c903e

1 - 20 of 34 Posts