Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang I'm new to the site. Trying to get an idea how much wire waste is generated on a typical job. This would include all types of protected cabling and all guages of wire used for electrical connections. Im looking for a percentage of the total supplied for the job, whether it gets recycled or goes to a waste handler. I know its difficult to estimate because each situation is different. I appreciate your time!

·
Senior Moment
7,944 Posts
That's like asking how much food waste is produced cooking. What is the end result of this data?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wire waste and kitchen scraps

you're right, the end result is to find out how much material is eligible for recycling compared to the total installed amount. not very much I bet, but trying to come up with a number

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Never really took the time to figure this out. I'm sure I would be sick to know how much is actually wasted on a job. I like to leave at least 6-8" at every outlet box. To make up for some of the waste I run 3-wire homeruns.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Never really took the time to figure this out. I'm sure I would be sick to know how much is actually wasted on a job. I like to leave at least 6-8" at every outlet box. To make up for some of the waste I run 3-wire homeruns.
I don't run 3 wire circuits anymore,A.F.C.I.,G.F.I.C.s ruined that practice.

Today is a paper work only day< no chit chat,Bob!

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I don't run 3 wire circuits anymore,A.F.C.I.,G.F.I.C.s ruined that practice.

Today is a paper work only day< no chit chat,Bob!
I have until October until they start enforcing it. The rehab code might even allow me to keep doing it the same way. I'll have to check that.

·
Wyome
757 Posts
I've never tried to monitor the waste on a romex job. I know I have less waste when I use 1000' reels as opposed to 250' rolls. but then we have to dispose of those plastic reels. Seems like I always have a bunch of tails with those rolls.
On pipe and wire jobs I used to figure 15% wire waste and 10% pipe waste.

·
Banned
11,885 Posts
Well, in commercial, it seems like almost everybody pulls a foot of wire at each box, and that gets cut down to 6". Then out of every 500' roll of wire, there's 20' of scrap. And when a feeder or lateral is pulled, there's probably 5' of extra per conductor.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I figure 10%, but we try to keep it to 5%.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I figure about 10% new materials and (for me) 100% on wrecked out materials. I do hope the copper wire gets snagged at the transfer station (dump) and I think it probably does, but I'm not going to fool with stripping it for the junkies.

Yes, I'd say about 10%.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i have no clue on the subject although we clean up after every day on a job and bring the scrape wire in where , friends , teen age kids and relatives of employees get paid to strip it. our estimator has been cracking down on waste so it would be interesting to figure out a percentage that can be entered as a scrap resale number...for now we have 4k lbs of striped copper just from this year.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
I can't imagine why anyone would want to take the time (meaning labor, which equates to money) to get an accurate count of how much wire is wasted on a job. It seems you would spend much more labor calculating it than what would be gained by knowing the result.

Spending a dollar to save a dime.

·
Registered
626 Posts
there was a time at our company where we would take x amount of wire to the job and it was left to the installer what was needed to leave in certain boxes stubouts looped in walls for future sconces etc. but that went terribly wrong when copper jumped in scrap,, at times id find 1 ft or more of wire at every opening. i doubt any of it made it back to the shop

·
Registered
65 Posts
We dont have to worry so much about this where I work. We melt copper as part of our business. Any waste wire gets melted down. Impurities from wire coating doesnt affect the process "too" much so no stripping. Chuck it in a hopper and melt it all down

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I can't imagine why anyone would want to take the time (meaning labor, which equates to money) to get an accurate count of how much wire is wasted on a job. It seems you would spend much more labor calculating it than what would be gained by knowing the result.

Spending a dollar to save a dime.
how the hell can you accurately bid a job if you don't have a good idea what the waste is ? your statement is ludicrous. Its well worth the time to calculte waste in pipe, wire, and any other costly item so that you can improve your estimates as time goes by for different types of work. you can also use the numbers to check on how good the job is staffed - ie, if you know the estimate is good, but a quarter the way through the wiring portion of the job you are using more wire than you should, it can raise a red flag - you might have tradesman who waste a lot of wire.

·
child please.....
5,311 Posts
I don 't even see how you could accurately figure a number for that. On top of that, it's a waste of time. I'd rather be a little "wasteful" than not...i always leave extra wire then skin back to what I need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would say I waste about on average maybe....... not sure, I'm trying to think about how much is wasted per thousand feet. I think around 15, forget it don't know.:blink:

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
10 percent waste on everything is what I calculate into bigger work. That is, pipe, wire, nuts, bolts, anchors, etc. To me, it's not really waste anyhow, since much of it is still usable by some means and is just put on a service truck. It's already been "paid for" by the bigger job, and is basically found money when it's sold again off the service truck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts