Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I actually have that issue right now. A good customer of mine wants to add a 3 way switch system to a stairwell, currently there is only a switch at the top of the stairs. It will be a lot of work to hardwire it and I don't feel like doing it.

Tell me what I need!
Here you go bro.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Better to get in from Lutron than my babble on the other thread :D .
Welcome, it's been a while with these for me too. They fit a need, for me it was block walls..

·
Petulant Moderator
Estwing magic
24,842 Posts
I do wish that Lutron would make a hardwired Pico. That would get rid of the battery. Often it's easy to have 120V at both locations, it's the interconnecting wiring that's the issue.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do wish that Lutron would make a hardwired Pico. That would get rid of the battery. Often it's easy to have 120V at both locations, it's the interconnecting wiring that's the issue.
Talk to their engineers and see what they say, it sounds like a worthwhile addition to me.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
The documentation shows using this in an already existing 3-way situation. I need to make a normal light into a 3-way. I would also prefer no dimmer, it would confuse the situation.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Petulant Moderator
Estwing magic
24,842 Posts
You have to go with the dimmer, Hack. They ramp up and ramp down. They're not instant. Not bad, just different.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
You have to go with the dimmer, Hack. They ramp up and ramp down. They're not instant. Not bad, just different.
This is for a common stairwell in a two family house. Half the people don't speak English. A dimmer won't work.

I know there are other options, I just have to find them.

·
Petulant Moderator
Estwing magic
24,842 Posts
I don't think you'll have any problems with the Lutron, Hack. People learn to push buttons really fast.

The only problem I had with Lutron was when I was renovating the house of an engineer who was a complete idiot. He had a panic attack because Lutron was Decora and everything else in his house was old style toggles. This guy was such a pain that, if I had killed him and thrown his body in the dumpster, his wife would have fallen in love with me.

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
I don't think you'll have any problems with the Lutron, Hack. People learn to push buttons really fast.

The only problem I had with Lutron was when I was renovating the house of an engineer who was a complete idiot. He had a panic attack because Lutron was Decora and everything else in his house was old style toggles. This guy was such a pain that, if I had killed him and thrown his body in the dumpster, his wife would have fallen in love with me.
But the dumpster would've been mad at you.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
I don't want people to have to fool around with a dimmer every time they try to turn the light on when going up or down the stairs with their hands full.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
It's only a dimmer if you want it to be a dimmer.
Oh, I guess I got confused by this:

I still don't think the ramping up and down and excessive buttons is appropriate in a rental common area. I'd rather a typical toggle switch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts