Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer with a fully automated assembly machine that must run constantly to meet production demands. The problem they are having is the operator is also running other pieces of equipment in the area and doesnt see the andon light. I am trying to come up with a way that the operator can have a indicator light with him at all times that will alert him when the machine goes down. The range of the operator to the machine is less than 100'. Audible isnt an option. First thing I thought of was the little pagers that restaurants give out when they are on a wait. Machine is PLC controlled and the indicator light would need to be battery operated.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,571 Posts
Would a strobe light hooked to a contactor work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Machine has a andon light tower and I suggested raising it and also making the red indicator a strobe or audible alarm. With the locations and orientations of the other equipment, it wouldnt work. Audible would work but I have been told its not an option at this time.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
I have a customer with a fully automated assembly machine that must run constantly to meet production demands. The problem they are having is the operator is also running other pieces of equipment in the area and doesnt see the andon light. I am trying to come up with a way that the operator can have a indicator light with him at all times that will alert him when the machine goes down. The range of the operator to the machine is less than 100'. Audible isnt an option. First thing I thought of was the little pagers that restaurants give out when they are on a wait. Machine is PLC controlled and the indicator light would need to be battery operated.
"andon light"???
Did you mean "On Light" or Alarm Light"?

Assuming you mean "Alarm Light", because that would prevent a constant draw from the battery, there are numerous ways to accomplish this, but budget vs reliability are going to be issues. If you don't have a lot of $$ to throw at this, you will only be able to get marginal devices, such as the kind of wireless switch devices used for remote Christmas lights cobbled together with some sort of battery pack and an LED pilot light in a box that the guy has to carry around. They may work fine, but my prediction is only until the first time he gets sick of carrying it and sets it down, then walks away and forgets it. A more traditional approach would be a pager tied to an autodialer.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Huh, never heard the term "Andon" before, had no idea that was a real thing, I thought it was a typo. Sorry.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you are looking for cheap, why not something like a wireless baby monitor camera? I don't know what kind of range they have, but it might work.

Also there are lots of network based wireless cameras that would work too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I eneded up using a remote controlled LED strobe light. I opened up the remote and soldered wires from the switch to a relay that I could control with the PLC on the machine. I was able to then have the remote light turn off when the operator acknowledged the fault or warning. The strobe light has a magnetic base and allows the operator to position it where they will see it. Unit has a 100' range and is working out really well, for management. The operators on the other hand, hate it. Thanks for the ideas guys.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Glad you found a solution, but I am curious what the original application of the wireless strobe was for? Industrial or automotive?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts