Electrician Talk banner

Wireless electricity?

2187 Views 23 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  wireman64
Can we distribute electric through air or ground? Just like how Tesla did in Colorado.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,890 Posts
Already are

I'm not too sure on how wireless electricity would work so hopefully someone can explain this to me..

What if i'm grounded and a wireless wave hits me (if thats even possible) how would that all work?
You already are constantly being hit by an innumerable amount of wireless waves. These are the exact types of waves which Nikola Tesla experimented with. In Tesla's day wireless did not exist. He was using electromagnetic wave propagation to distribute electricity. The creation of radio waves was a byproduct, as was the creation of x-rays (both of which he was consulted with by the developers of those mediums).

HOWEVER, using the magnitude of Tesla's work to make wireless power available to everyone would be impossible in today's world and likely quite dangerous. Wireless power would disrupt all other wireless technologies and a lot of the devices we rely on for daily life and life itself.

Nobody with a pacemaker or insulin pump would be walking around as carefree as they are today if Tesla generating stations dotted the globe, that's for sure.

I have seen a lot of supporters, detractors, educated, and uneducated people making statements saying things like you already are and this won't change a thing, or EMF is BS, or won't this fry my pancreas?

The magnitude of the power required (regardless of frequency), the location of the devices, the duration of exposure, etc. would likely be detrimental at least to the health of the radio spectrum.

One last note: Tesla's ideas involving wireless power had one ultimate goal...Free Power. Once the generating stations were up and running (using hydroelectric or wind power for sustainment) the natural ionospheric energy would be mated with the energy of the earth (using the Helmholtz resonance) to make our environment one giant battery. What effect do you think that would have on the environment and our man-made world?

That WiTricity thing is still highly inefficient and uses wall power.

· Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,890 Posts
Emf

How do think the EMF crowd feels about those devices?

I'd like to see this guy in the demo hold up a gaussmeter as well, and then show us how all of his credit cards work after sitting near an electromagnetic field for a period of time...or maybe how all of his credit cards with RFID chips have been activated and possibly scanned.

I'd like to see someone with a pacemaker with wireless power get tested as well.

Those cell phones in the video pop on somehow without the on/off or wake/sleep buttons being depressed. That's a neat trick which kind of bypasses the features. I bet you they don't work as actual cell phones as well as they could though, not to mention the effect on nearby WiFi.

There is a lot more to the story here.

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Yes, it's called lightning.
So I guess a vegetable strainer is out, ha ? Hope no one calls me for a service call cause I won't have any idea where to start looking. Geeze what kinda masters license will I need to do this kinda work? Man the questions just keep jumping in my head. Think I'll just stay put. Got enough problems now.:eek:

· Registered
590 Posts
The amount of power required to transmit even the most minuscule amount of energy makes the Tesla Coil a most inefficient method of transmitting energy. Besides the wide band omnidirectional radio interference developed by the spark gap technology, the idea of transmitting large amounts of power is a pipe dream.

A 50,000 watt radio station is necessary to send a few microvolts to your radio. Tesla needed tens of thousands of watts to light a few 40 watt bulbs miles away.

The wireless bluetooth stuff is inefficient but only a milliamps is needed to charge the batteries or power some low power stuff nearby.

In both case a wire is much more efficient.

Reactions: nbb

· Registered
2,963 Posts
In essence the system can and does work for low power devices !
How ever I don't think that it is practicle for higher power devices
And we are using more and more power every year.

Idea works but practicle application is another matter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.