Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been saying for years I will install a three way loop downstairs in my basement. Well yesterday I found myself in the dark trying to navigate my way to the laundry room where there is a light and switch.
This has happened before many times and I almost fell down yesterday. I did fall some time back. Tripped over something and came down hard. Lucky I did not hit my head.
So now My wife insists I get it done and I am in complete agreement.

So I have everything I need to hard wire the switch loop. I bought everything about 2 years ago. But its gonna be a pretty big job. I will have to to run some EMT. I'm not so good with big jobs these days. So I am thinking about installing wireless.
I have never used them so I thought I would ask you guys what you think.
They will almost be in direct sight of each other and about 50' apart. One at the top of a stairwell and one by the garage door down there. I do have a regular door near the garage door, so I might want to set up for all three doors. So 2 three ways and a 4 way will be needed.
Also if you have used them before what brand name did you buy? Reliable? TIA.

·
Hackenschmidt
13,588 Posts
The Lutron Caseta is pretty hard to beat. You replace the existing switch with a Caseta switch and pair a Pico remote with the switch. The Pico is battery operated, it can mount in a regular Decora flush faceplate (with no box behind it) but you can actually do whatever you want with the Pico remote, mount it, put it on your keychain, tape it to the door, whatever.

They have versions where the switch requires a neutral and others that don't.

Attachments

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,582 Posts
I used a google unit with a Philips hub/bulb.
Now I’m moving it onto Alexa with the Philips hue hub.
I like just telling the small speaker dot to turn the light on.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
What splatz says... You replace the switch there with a Lutron brain, I always used Pico, and then install the remote switch anywhere.. It doesn't need wiring. I think Caseta is a less expensive but you don't need more than that. Amazon $58-- That 3rd object is just a plate that you mount on the wall for the remote. You can put a plate over it

Video game console Font Technology Electronic device Electric blue

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,642 Posts
I used a google unit with a Philips hub/bulb.
Now I’m moving it onto Alexa with the Philips hue hub.
I like just telling the small speaker dot to turn the light on.
This is what I did. I used to have multiple switches per room. Now there are no visible switches

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no switch at the garage door. Only at the top of the stairwell. There is no no 3 way loop. Only one single pole switch operates all the fixtures. 9-96" LED bypass converted fixtures. I was hoping to only have to do minimal wiring. 2 maybe 3 switches to operate just like normal a 3-4 way switch loop.
As you can see I have no idea about them. Its also a unfinished basement. I don't want or need any fancy switches. Its a place for lawn equipment and storage. Toggle switches are all I need.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
There is no switch at the garage door. Only at the top of the stairwell. There is no no 3 way loop. Only one single pole switch operates all the fixtures. 9-96" LED bypass converted fixtures. I was hoping to only have to do minimal wiring. 2 maybe 3 switches to operate just like normal a 3-4 way switch loop.
As you can see I have no idea about them. Its also a unfinished basement. I don't want or need any fancy switches. Its a place for lawn equipment and storage. Toggle switches are all I need.

John you install the master unit at the existing switch. The other switch is battery control that lasts forever or so it seems and that can be installed anywhere. They make a bracket that mounts directly to the wall where the remote fits into. These are very slim so a screwless plate covers it all-- no box. I have used a regular plate and it may be fine in an unfinished area.

·
Hackenschmidt
13,588 Posts
Look at that attachment with the Caseta quick install. It's a few minutes to swap out the switch, and a minute to pair the Pico remote, a few minutes to mount the Pico in a faceplate by the other door, and you're done 👍

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John you install the master unit at the existing switch. The other switch is battery control that lasts forever or so it seems and that can be installed anywhere. They make a bracket that mounts directly to the wall where the remote fits into. These are very slim so a screwless plate covers it all-- no box. I have used a regular plate and it may be fine in an unfinished area.
Wow. Sounds so easy. Something I should have done years ago! So Caseta it is. I will order it. How may switches can I use? I need at three locations. So at the other locations I don't need any wires? Does Caseta make a simple toggle? I will mount a box at each switch location as its all concrete block.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,490 Posts
You need one Caseta switch and then two Pico remotes then. If you are going to block mount them, you'll need two mounting brackets, but if I recall the Pico remotes come with them. You could even just use some 3M tape.

Reactions: splatz

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need one Caseta switch and then two Pico remotes then. If you are going to block mount them, you'll need two mounting brackets, but if I recall the Pico remotes come with them. You could even just use some 3M tape.
I am looking at this. I don't need internet or Alexa or anything like that. I just need the basic 3 switches to control the lights. Can you point me to the product? Thanks.
I have some handy boxes. Can I mount the Picos to them?

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,490 Posts

One of each of these, and you do not need wifi. You can mount them to the handy boxes.

·
Can't Remember
11,044 Posts
I've had great luck with the Caseta wireless dimmers and switches. You can do all kinds of neat things with these, his and hers reading lights, three ways where there weren't any, no sheetrock damage. I have RA2 which is a step up in complexity, and it hasn't skipped a beat. Very reliable and the programming is very simple. I think you'll be happy with this.

·
Can't Remember
11,044 Posts
The batteries are button cell type. I believe the battery life is about five year. Yes they look a little different than what you are used to, but are intuitive, especially for the switching, both the pico remote and switch look alike and operate the same.

·
Can't Remember
11,044 Posts
You can have as many remotes as you want for three and four ways. Home Depot and Lowe's often will have most of these things on the shelf. They are usually white, so if you want almond or Ivory, head to Amazon or some other internet source.

·
Registered
Industrial Wireman. Hospital maintenance and construction.
75 Posts
I have been saying for years I will install a three way loop downstairs in my basement. Well yesterday I found myself in the dark trying to navigate my way to the laundry room where there is a light and switch.
This has happened before many times and I almost fell down yesterday. I did fall some time back. Tripped over something and came down hard. Lucky I did not hit my head.
So now My wife insists I get it done and I am in complete agreement.

So I have everything I need to hard wire the switch loop. I bought everything about 2 years ago. But its gonna be a pretty big job. I will have to to run some EMT. I'm not so good with big jobs these days. So I am thinking about installing wireless.
I have never used them so I thought I would ask you guys what you think.
They will almost be in direct sight of each other and about 50' apart. One at the top of a stairwell and one by the garage door down there. I do have a regular door near the garage door, so I might want to set up for all three doors. So 2 three ways and a 4 way will be needed.
Also if you have used them before what brand name did you buy? Reliable? TIA.

So..... I so alot of lighting in commercial and beside conduit is my favorite.... I have only seen "truly" a couple Wireless switches in a main hallway in some corporate business. These rooms were finished and 3 of them had wireless switches. However being a commercial we brought four 120v to a box above the switch and used a power pack and an occ sensor for the system. NO wires touched the switch or the occ sensor. So I can tell you the technology is definately there just not sure how far away the power pack can be from the switch, because it is essentially "bluetooth" if you will....

·
Registered
Industrial Wireman. Hospital maintenance and construction.
75 Posts
So..... I so alot of lighting in commercial and beside conduit is my favorite.... I have only seen "truly" a couple Wireless switches in a main hallway in some corporate business. These rooms were finished and 3 of them had wireless switches. However being a commercial we brought four 120v to a box above the switch and used a power pack and an occ sensor for the system. NO wires touched the switch or the occ sensor. So I can tell you the technology is definately there just not sure how far away the power pack can be from the switch, because it is essentially "bluetooth" if you will....

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1)
2)
One of each of these, and you do not need wifi. You can mount them to the handy boxes.
I don't need any dimming. So do I need number 2? I see number 1 is the switch and remote. Number 2 is a 3 button dimmer? Sorry I know nothing about these.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts