Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

One of each of these, and you do not need wifi. You can mount them to the handy boxes.
Okay I did a little research on my own and placed the order just like you posted. Thanks a lot brother. I really appreciate that.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have run into a snag and wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions.
The existing switch is in a metal 4x4 (1900 box) with raised metal cover. So I got lucky and found a GFCI raised cover in my junk pile. However the Caseta swich has no break off tabs (ears) to allow it to fit behind the raised cover. The yoke is not designed for a raised cover.
So it looks like I have only 3 options and I don't like any of them.

1) Remove the existing box (was installed with 1/4" drive pins into a concrete block wall) and get another box that will work. I have seen but I have yet to find a 4x4 box with mounting holes. Like a handy box but 4x4. Or use a handy box even though it will be very tight. I would hate to have to remove the box.

2) Use a cover/plate like this. This will only give me 1/2" behind the device (Caseta switch wires exit out the back of the device) as its big like a GFCI. But it seems like my best and easiest way out of this?
Rectangle Electronic device Font Circle Metal

3) Trim the yoke so it fits. I am hesitant to do this (warranty) but if I go this route I will test the setup on the bench to verify it works before proceeding.

Anything else I have not thought of yet? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah I've often gone to town with the cutting wheel on a dremel.
My wife got me a Dremmel tool last Christmas and I have used it several times since then. Sounds like a plan.
Note: She got me a attachment set for the Dremmel. Guess what? The attachment I use the most is not included. The piece that looks like a drill bit but is designed to cut on the side of it. For cutting holes and similar. I think I'm going to tell her to return the kit and buy as many cutting drill bits she can get for about the same price.

would it be possible to use an industrial GFCI cover ?

View attachment 166297
Thats what I have now. I ran all EMT in my basement with 1900 boxes and raised covers. The damn switch has no break off ears. Its designed for flush mount device that press up against drywall. I checked every GFCI and all square receptacles and switches I have and every single one of them would work. No cutting required. Just snap off ears and some have another snap across the top and bottom of the yoke.
Lutron did not consider this in the design.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,194 Posts
My wife got me a Dremmel tool last Christmas and I have used it several times since then. Sounds like a plan.
Note: She got me a attachment set for the Dremmel. Guess what? The attachment I use the most is not included. The piece that looks like a drill bit but is designed to cut on the side of it. For cutting holes and similar. I think I'm going to tell her to return the kit and buy as many cutting drill bits she can get for about the same price.

Thats what I have now. I ran all EMT in my basement with 1900 boxes and raised covers. The damn switch has no break off ears. Its designed for flush mount device that press up against drywall. I checked every GFCI and all square receptacles and switches I have and every single one of them would work. No cutting required. Just snap off ears and some have another snap across the top and bottom of the yoke.
Lutron did not consider this in the design.
I now envision you as having a pointy beard that stretches all the way down to almost the ground , and you standing with a big Gandalf type walking stick. Mostly because your wife seems to take care of all your errands.......

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,444 Posts

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,430 Posts
Why not just a mud ring, get a 5/8 to 1" mud ring and then just install a cover plate over it.

Reactions: crknjk

·
Senile Member
35,194 Posts
Somebody who remembers the model numbers for Raco post a picture of the 4" sq boxes that have a cutout in the back so you can expand outwards from a flush mounted metal box in a wall. Just stick one of them on over the existing box and use a gfi RS cover .

·
Senile Member
35,194 Posts
you talking about an extension ring?
Not a regular extension ring. The knockout is the size of the single gang sw ring, including 2 slots for the existing device threaded holes so you screw the new box to the old one using the old one's holes and 6- 32's.

Reactions: Almost Retired

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I now envision you as having a pointy beard that stretches all the way down to almost the ground , and you standing with a big Gandalf type walking stick. Mostly because your wife seems to take care of all your errands.......
She does. I haven't been to a store in ages. Grocery store yes as I do all the cooking. But everything else including clothes she gets for me. If can't get it online I usually don't get it.

Why not just a mud ring, get a 5/8 to 1" mud ring and then just install a cover plate over it.
A good easy idea. I might even have one? Thanks

·
Premium Member
Commercial Service Electrician
94 Posts
Not a regular extension ring. The knockout is the size of the single gang sw ring, including 2 slots for the existing device threaded holes so you screw the new box to the old one using the old one's holes and 6- 32's.
I have a couple of these on my van along with the regular ones, come in handy when needed.
Automotive lighting Rectangle Gas Font Gadget

·
Senile Member
35,194 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Almost Retired
21 - 40 of 60 Posts