Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
HTTR
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
giving an option of wiring with mc instead of romex

I can figure the material price difference easily

however I know the labor will increase, do you think a 20% unit labor increase for wiring with mc vs romex sounds about right?

·
Retired Account
39,698 Posts
giving an option of wiring with mc instead of romex
It's a better job for a multitude of reasons :thumbsup:

I can figure the material price difference easily

however I know the labor will increase, do you think a 20% unit labor increase for wiring with mc vs romex sounds about right?
Well it'd be all metallic boxes , so 20% would seem 'ballpark'

~CS~

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
You would be better off using EMT.

MC cable poor wiring choice for a dwelling unit because you must have 100% of all the connections to boxes and fixtures wrench tight and I've never seen that happen on a commercial job, unless you are the only one making up all of the connections there will be loosely fitted connections to box clamps and such.

Just my two cents..

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
funny you should say that...mice is the main reason they might want go with mc. Its a total rebuild from a fire, lots of mice chewed wiring was found during the demo
Wrong choice. Mice love to chew on aluminum. They sharpen their teeth on it. If infestation is that bad, the upgrade should be emt.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
where on the east coast (approximately) is this mouse infestation ?

·
HTTR
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IMG_3283.jpg
I think these just prefer romex
they have a lot of metal shelving in the basement, didn't seem to be interested in chewing on it

·
Registered
689 Posts
Romex and uf by far they're favorite. I think a lot of fires in rural areas are caused by mice. Including car fires.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts