Electrician Talk banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Not a chance in the world. I will annihilate anyone with MC cable over pipe, any day. That's in the same league as saying it's better to use only #12 for outlet circuits. There is no truth to that whatsoever.
Piperunner could beat you.:whistling2::laughing::no::eek::laughing:

·
Retired Account
39,698 Posts
Pipe in woodframe is a tad slow imho. I can understand the desire to have a raceway for multiple feeds and sw legs. We've done farms in flex, which goes fairly fast.

The market, per usual, addresses the speed of terminating>>>>

~CS~

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
The labor required to install MC is far less than the labor required to even install pipe without conductors in it. It's absurd to imply that those are competitive methods.
Damn skippy. MC ropes almost as fast as romex, you just have to be more mindful of corners and whatnot. Pipe is no comparison.

·
Retired Account
39,698 Posts
they cant have any poison. Its a 80 acre exotic animal rescue. Lions, tigers, monkeys, bears ect that have been rescued from bad situations.

Owners residence on 2nd floor, 1st floor is food storage and prep areas, so mice are a given
According to Art 547, it's up to what conditions exist on the 1st floor as to wiring methods. Basically, if an animal deficates in the area, it's a wash down area, etc, rx is out anyways.....(note type of MC)

547.5 Wiring Methods.
(A) Wiring Systems. Types UF, NMC, copper SE cables,
jacketed Type MC cable, rigid nonmetallic conduit, liquidtight
flexible nonmetallic conduit, or other cables or raceways suit-
able for the location, with approved termination fittings, shall
be the wiring methods employed. The wiring methods of Ar-
ticle 502, Part II, shall be permitted for areas described in
547.1 (A).

(B) Corrosive Atmosphere. Agricultural buildings where
a corrosive atmosphere exists. Such buildings include areas
where the following conditions exist:
(I) Poultry and animal excrement may caLise corrosive va-
pors.
(2) Corrosive particles Illay combine with water.
(3) The area is damp and wet by reason of periodic wash-
ing for cleaning and sanitizing with water and cleans-
ing agents.
(4) Similar conditions exist.
~CS~

·
Registered
522 Posts
they cant have any poison. Its a 80 acre exotic animal rescue. Lions, tigers, monkeys, bears ect that have been rescued from bad situations.
I had to re-wire Willy's game farm for the exact reason you have, I did it all in EMT with compression fittings and bell boxes. T&M is the only way to go with this kind of situation.

All the carnivores were locked up but I had to run pipe through the camel barn and I ran like a twelve year old girl when those nasty beasts started spitting and farting on me - add money for that too.

Black Dog may have heard of the place since it wasn't too far from Green Bay. (about 25 years ago).

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
MC is at least 50% more labor intensive than romex. Probably more, but at least that.

Whoever said call Terminex had the right idea, :thumbsup: but If you need to install a raceway system, why not opt out for smurf pipe? Fast and cheap. Not as fast as mc, but whatever.

Call an exterminator, otherwise look at all you options first.

·
Registered
486 Posts
MC is at least 50% more labor intensive than romex. Probably more, but at least that.

Whoever said call Terminex had the right idea, :thumbsup: but If you need to install a raceway system, why not opt out for smurf pipe? Fast and cheap. Not as fast as mc, but whatever.

If you don't do a lot of commercial with MC, hire a guy who does. I wired a house with a buddy who only does resi, and I was way slower with romex than he was. But I've used him in a pinch on some commercial jobs and could do laps around him with MC.

Its all relative to what your used to - a pouch full of snap in MC connectors, a well-tuned roto-split and I think a good commercial guy can def. keep up with a guy slinging romex.

·
Registered
522 Posts
This should not be debated, putting in armored cable with open connectors should not be an option, vermin and insects will always be present along with uric acid from piss and steaming piles of dung.

You don't think this guy will be using water hoses and pressure washers -

The last thing your best friend in whole world will say to you is "don't worry when it burns down again I wont blame you, do you have insurance?"

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts

They'd chew that up too

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I'd do without wiring completely before I'd choose smurf
I've been itching at the gills to do an office remodel or something completely in smurf. It's one of those things I've got to do.

All I need is an opportunity and a customer that wants a raceway system installed, and I'll be all over it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
I've been itching at the gills to do an office remodel or something completely in smurf. It's one of those things I've got to do.

All I need is an opportunity and a customer that wants a raceway system installed, and I'll be all over it. :thumbsup:
I have done a pizza hut with it. I was embarrassed when it was done. I was on the board when our city outlawed it for anything non-firewall rated.

·
Registered
522 Posts
back in the days smuff tubing started out as wiring loom, automotive used it to wrap a harness as it was split - pretty much a continuous tie wrap and nothing more.

It affords no protection for the most part but will use for future wiring as in coax or hdmi, but only if you leave a pull wire.

·
HTTR
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
This should not be debated, putting in armored cable with open connectors should not be an option, vermin and insects will always be present along with uric acid from piss and steaming piles of dung.

You don't think this guy will be using water hoses and pressure washers -

The last thing your best friend in whole world will say to you is "don't worry when it burns down again I wont blame you, do you have insurance?"
This is their residence, not one of the animal buildings. They just have mice because of the feed storage and food prep in the basement. No steaming piles of dung in the house:laughing: just mice droppings

Yes, in the monkey buildings and big cat enclosures they do wash down with hoses

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I have done a pizza hut with it. I was embarrassed when it was done. I was on the board when our city outlawed it for anything non-firewall rated.
Why were you embarrassed? What about it makes it a less quality product than emt?

I know you preach quality quality quality, but I don't see why guys would look down on this type of installation.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
Why were you embarrassed? What about it makes it a less quality product than emt?

I know you preach quality quality quality, but I don't see why guys would look down on this type of installation.
It is hard t say. It just looks cheap and there is really no way to strap it according to code and still get wires thru it. It is hard to explain, it just wasn't right.
I use it all the time to run spares into an attic though.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts